3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

High Output V6 with 250 horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 03:09 AM
graythang
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: High Output V6 with 250 horsepower

If only DC would listen and cared about what the buying public really wants in their vehicles. There are many reviews that most of us read that where completed by all sorts of organizations such as magazines, consumer report type reviews, annalist who make it there business such as Edmunds etc. They all pretty much say the same things in different ways. Functional but cheap materials for the interior. Underpowered in the face of today’s mid size truck competition etc. The mid sizes market changed with the Asian trucks in the last three years. The Dak is no longer in its own nitch market anymore. It was just a matter of time and DC had to know that better than anyone going into the Gen3s. Have you ever seen a Dr. Z commercial with a Dak being featured? One Dr. Z truck add had a Dak in the background with what looked like twenty other vehicles. What about any adds at all for the Dak? Has not been one national media add in a year. How many do you see in the dealer lots? How many are facing the street? Most if any are in very low inventory and parked somewhere back on the lots. And don't tell me that’s because there flying off the lost and they can't keep enough on hand. The fact is it's not the hot item DC has but the Ram is. The Caravan is. Magnums are not selling as well as they thought. Durango sales are way off. The line up is going towards the Jeep line, Caliber and Nitro. The Charger is a nitch ride and a great fleet rental. The redheaded stepchild is without doubt the Dak. I some times count how many Gen3s I see on my hour trip each way for work compared to new competitions trucks and there are days that I’m the only Gen3 Dak. Lots of Gen2s but that’s eight years of that generation. Its almost like DC lost interest and is most likely going to let the Gen3s ride it out through 07 with minimum changes until an 08 revamp to a Gen 4. I don’t believe it needs a retool but it certainly does need allot of inspiration with refinements and more powerful and efficient engine line up. The braking system needs to be updated that a given. The 5-speed auto needs to be tightened up and should have shift on demand like the jeeps and Durango’s. The Dak really could use traction control. A diesel would be a great option. Factory HID lamps would be a great option. Just beat the hell out of the completion by staying ahead of the curve.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:32 AM
lil
Captain

DC's sales numbers on all truck models are down this year in general as they are for all auto makers including Toyota (source: http://www.pickuptruck.com).......I am not sure how that stacks up (looks to be down about 15% across the board) but it seems they do push the RAM Qaud and Megacab over the Dakota...but I love my 04 Gen2 Dakota it rides so nice and goes down the road without a care as did my 03 Gen2 Dakota .......sounds great with the flowmasters and I think they are such a good looking truck....I was not so hot on the Gen3 but as time has went on I have found what I didn't like about the Gen3's look was the plain jane stock look....once you put some after market wheels on them they looks great....what I do like about them is the full size styling they have on the front grill.....I am still having problems with the front bumper it just seems so big.....but I guess that is part of the safety features that make is so safe in a front end crash.....I don't find other makes of trucks ugly just not as good looking as the Dakota I have liked them from the first time in high school I saw a Gen1 and noticed it had a V8 I was like WOW a V8 in a mid sized truck....now that is cool I WANT ONE !!......I think the Dr. Z commercials are lame....get back to the guys that made the line "That thing gotta HEMI in it" famous......or something along those lines......graytang I didn't know you had red hair HEHE....but I do agree HID lamps would be nice.....I am not sure why in 2005 they dropped the 4 wheel disc breaks but I had them in my 03 and do in my 04 and with the anti lock they grab like crazy glue if you have good tires I would imagine it was a cost cutting move....traction control sucks we have that on our Saturn Vue Redline and if you get wild it not only takes away the power it will apply the breaks to keep you safe and recover traction which is no fun if you are trying to slide around.......unless you can turn it off when wanted....but then again this only works in an all wheel drive model.......2x4 would of course not have this feature. [sm=massbounce.gif]

Old 09-02-2006, 01:09 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

I am convinced that the GenIIs where a more refined vehicle. The eight years of the GenIIs really polished the line. The interiors are just plain NICE. The stance of the 4X4 has a stouter look. I do like the GenIII boldness and the lines are at least to me are refreshing. Add mods and whla it just becomes quickly aggressive looking. Yep the Dr. Z campaign is lame but I'm just disappointed that the Dak is so unrepresented from its manufacture. Sure I and a bunch of us owners have real issues with the GenIIIs and they are a factory/corporate cause and effect. So at least support the owners in a proactive way instead of treating us like children and tell things that make no sense and basically just go away. I’m wondering if I may have purchased the off generation of the line. The one that will be looked back on as the generation to avoid and what will become on the worst used vehicle list.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:44 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm just disappointed that the Dak is so unrepresented from its manufacture
I don't watch TV, but I'm almost 100% positive that there are models that manufacturers either don't advertise very well, or not at all.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:27 PM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I AGREE THAT THE DAKS ARE UNDERPOWERED, BUT SEE IF YOU CAN GET THE 3.5L TO PULL ALMOST 7000LBS VS THE V8. THE 3.5L HAS SOME GOOD POWER, AND IT ALSO HAS MORE TORQUE THAN THE 3.7L. I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY DO THAT TO THE DAKS. THIS IS THE ONE THING THAT PISSES ME OFF WITH DCX.

I HAVE A FEELING THAT DCX DOESN'T LIKE THE DAK AND ONLY MAKE IT BECAUSE OF THE DEMAND.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:36 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

+1

That's exactly why the 3.7 is in the Dakota. It's essentially a 5.2L V8 minus 2 cylinders....it's a solid motor...

Also...the Pacifica 4.0L was a long time coming...as they also used the 3.5L for a while...and found it to be a dog....
Actually the 3.9L was a 5.2L V8 minus 2 cylinders. The 3.7L is a 4.7L V8 minus 2 cylinders (and given a slight displacement boost). The 3.7L is a 2 valve SOHC engine vs. the 5.2L is a 2 valve OHV; therefore, it couldn't have come from the 5.2L V8

As I mentioned in another section, I also think the 3.7L should be replaced with the 4.0L. It has better tq curve characteristics that would be a better match to the heavy Dakota.

I also like the idea of a CRD. Allpar.com mentioned the possibility that Dodge will put a V6 Cummins in the Dakota and Durango. http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...ullnews&id=671

Old 09-05-2006, 07:39 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: graythang

3.5L SOHC 24V High Output V6 with 250 horsepower

This is what the 06 Charger SE has standard also found in the Magnum.

3.5? Where did that come from? Is it taking place of the 3.7?

250HP does the Dakota know about this? HeHe

Sure make my 260hp HO with two extra cylinders fell a little wimpy.

I wonder if it needs premium gas like the 4.7 HO?

Wonder never seize!
Okay, I'm confused here. Are you saying that the Dakota is rumored to have the 3.5L offered in it, or are you suggesting that the Dakota should offer it? The 3.5L is recommended to have mid-grade gas (89 octane).

Old 09-05-2006, 09:12 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

Nope, not suggesting anything of the sort. I'm just seeing that there are V6s from Dodge like the 3.5 HO that are boasting 250HP running on reg gas. I would think it or some other engines that produces 250hp and comparable torque would be a better choice than the 3.7 at only 210hp. I didn't even know there was such an engine in the Dodge lineup as the 3.5 HO. Just happen upon it on the Dodge site. Let’s face it in spite of what everyone thinks about their truck it could and should have more powerful engines. By today’s HP race the 3.7L 210hp 4.7L 230hp and the 4.7L HO 260hp is on the edge of wimpy HP ratings. The HO needs premium gas to boot. I would expect the HP rating should be up 8 to 10% across the line of dodge truck engines and may have to be in the face of the competition. I am certainly not the only person who has posted the need to incress the Dodge engine HP ratings.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:02 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: 97 3.5 Intrepid

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

+1

That's exactly why the 3.7 is in the Dakota. It's essentially a 5.2L V8 minus 2 cylinders....it's a solid motor...

Also...the Pacifica 4.0L was a long time coming...as they also used the 3.5L for a while...and found it to be a dog....
Actually the 3.9L was a 5.2L V8 minus 2 cylinders. The 3.7L is a 4.7L V8 minus 2 cylinders (and given a slight displacement boost). The 3.7L is a 2 valve SOHC engine vs. the 5.2L is a 2 valve OHV; therefore, it couldn't have come from the 5.2L V8

As I mentioned in another section, I also think the 3.7L should be replaced with the 4.0L. It has better tq curve characteristics that would be a better match to the heavy Dakota.

I also like the idea of a CRD. Allpar.com mentioned the possibility that Dodge will put a V6 Cummins in the Dakota and Durango. http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...ullnews&id=671
Your correct, I had the wrong number...thanks for correcting it

Personally, the CRD makes the most sense

Old 09-05-2006, 11:56 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

Your welcome, DevilsReject. We all make mistakes.

I agree with your opinion that the CRD makes the most sense. That way we can enjoy pretty good hp for displacement and excellent torque while getting excellent fuel mileage.

Quick Reply: High Output V6 with 250 horsepower