3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2011 Durango Citadel Pushbutton Start Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 03:33 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Uhhh... yea... we agree. Perhaps you were not responding to me.

ALL cars have issues. Most referred to in this thread as "I should have bought an XYZ instead" are $20,000-$40,000 more money and none the better in reality.

+1 on customer service. Sometimes depends on who you get and when you get them.

IndyDurango

Old 09-02-2011, 08:13 PM
D-Go
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You

Originally Posted by MRaymond
2011 Durango Citadel Pushbutton Start Problems
I had a very similar problem with my 2 month old Dodge Durango Citadel just yesterday on 5/21 the vehicle just turned 3,000 miles, My wife and I were traveling on the New Jersey Turnpike about 150 miles from home and stopped at a rest area. When we returned to the vehicle I pushed the start button and nothing happen, the screen said “Key not detected” of course I tried several times, then the screen said “Key Damaged”. Only having one key I was stuck, I then called roadside assistance they were no help and very rude. This happen at 8:30AM, I was able to reach the dealership that I purchased the vehicle from at 9:00AM once again they were no help, they said you need to tow the vehicle to a dealership. I then called back road side assistance all they would do for me is give me an 800 number for the Turnpike Authority tow service, they wouldn’t even dispatch a tow truck because I was on a toll road….

When the tow truck arrived he couldn’t get the vehicle in natural to place the vehicle on the flat bed, the dealership also couldn’t help him, and they had no idea how to release the shifter. So the vehicle was then DRAGED onto the flatbed with the rear wheels locked. Once at the dealership one of the mechanics found the release button in 1 minuet (it’s under the cup holder in the front console), then in 5 more minutes the same mechanic called me to the vehicle, he said that my Key Fob is defective and needs to be replaced; in the meantime he popped out the start button and showed me how to use the Key Fob as a key to start the vehicle. The Fob just inserts into the hole where the button came out of. All the functions work but the hand release when you touch the handle to unlock and lock the door. They also said that these keys are on a massive national back order and it would be some time before I could get it replaced.

When I arrived home later that evening I replaced the start button and was able to use my spare key fob with no problem. That tells me that the problem is defective Key Fobs and they already know about it. How many people will be stranded before they even notify their dealers that there is a problem and explain that there is a bypass for the key and the where the release button is for the
Shifter?

I was stuck on the highway with no assistance from road side, 5 hours out of our trip and a $255 tow bill that I was required to pay out of my pocket. I was told by the dealership that It is my job to write a letter to Dodge explain what happen and request reimbursement of the Tow bill, that’s very poor customer service. I am now second guessing my self for purchasing a Chrysler product.

This is the first year of a brand new vehicle generation.....Why are you complaining about a key fob problem???? As far as releasing the shifter, did you try looking in the owners manual?? Dude if you read it, it contains everything you need to know about the features and the operation of your vehicle. Yeah, I agree the situation can be annoying. But it's the first year!! You are therefore the guinea pig for something new. Period. As far as being reimbursed for the trouble, just call Chrysler directly!!! And be nice. They don't intend for problems to happen.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:30 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 D-Go.

Glad to see a first time posting saying the exact same things I was. Opinions obviously differ with the other owner.

IndyD

Old 09-03-2011, 10:22 AM
jrockwell
Rookie

With a car at $44,000 in the year 2011 the "bend over and take it because its the first model response" doesn't apply.

Chrysler has been building cars for about 90 years. They pretty much have it perfected. If something is wrong with a car, they need to hear about it. Don't assume it's a problem that will just go away, and don't let it be addressed in the next years models.

If there is a problem, report it, get it fixed. Don't just shrug your shoulders and say "meh, it's my fault for buying the first year of a new model".

Old 09-04-2011, 11:52 PM
D-Go

Originally Posted by jrockwell
With a car at $44,000 in the year 2011 the "bend over and take it because its the first model response" doesn't apply.

Chrysler has been building cars for about 90 years. They pretty much have it perfected. If something is wrong with a car, they need to hear about it. Don't assume it's a problem that will just go away, and don't let it be addressed in the next years models.

If there is a problem, report it, get it fixed. Don't just shrug your shoulders and say "meh, it's my fault for buying the first year of a new model".
No one is saying he should "bend over and take it". We are suggesting he contact Chrysler directly instead of dealing with inept individuals that don't tAke accountability for the company they work for. Chrysler won't have a problem reimbursing him for the trouble if it is repaired under warranty at a dealer.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:15 AM
jrockwell
Rookie

This may or may not be related.

Today I was taking apart the "trunk" area to get access to the subwoofer and amplifier. I was about to test the system with everything apart when I received the error "key not detected" when trying to turn the car on.

On the plastic "trunk liner" there is a blue/brown wire that clips in. I left this disconnected when trying to start, thinking it wouldn't matter. But I kept getting this error until I plugged it back in. I am guessing this is one of the, or the only sensor/receiver for the wireless remote? Upon closer inspection it certainly looks like a radio receiver.

It's a small connection and I could see it easily coming loose or the part breaking by dropping heavy objects on it. It possible this connection or that sensor is bad for people who get this error.

I have a few pics if anyone is interested.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:53 PM
sidewinder9m
Veteran

Originally Posted by jrockwell
This may or may not be related.

Today I was taking apart the "trunk" area to get access to the subwoofer and amplifier. I was about to test the system with everything apart when I received the error "key not detected" when trying to turn the car on.

On the plastic "trunk liner" there is a blue/brown wire that clips in. I left this disconnected when trying to start, thinking it wouldn't matter. But I kept getting this error until I plugged it back in. I am guessing this is one of the, or the only sensor/receiver for the wireless remote? Upon closer inspection it certainly looks like a radio receiver.

It's a small connection and I could see it easily coming loose or the part breaking by dropping heavy objects on it. It possible this connection or that sensor is bad for people who get this error.

I have a few pics if anyone is interested.
Please post those pictures for future reference.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:50 AM
undertow999
Amateur

How do you remove the push button start cover so you can actually put the key into the ignition hole. My dealer decided not give me an owners manual.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:19 PM
sidewinder9m
Veteran

Originally Posted by undertow999
How do you remove the push button start cover so you can actually put the key into the ignition hole. My dealer decided not give me an owners manual.
You can request the owners manual (3 total) from Dodge its free and ships free also.....here is the toll free no. (877) 847-7166.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:57 AM
undertow999
Amateur

Originally Posted by sidewinder9m
You can request the owners manual (3 total) from Dodge its free and ships free also.....here is the toll free no. (877) 847-7166.
Right on, thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: 2011 Durango Citadel Pushbutton Start Problems