3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Lifting the 3G Durango

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 11:41 AM
Randall Deshun Ficklin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question the rt lifted Durango does it have the same spindles as the Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 liter with the independent suspension

Old 07-26-2016, 01:32 AM
NorCalAthlete
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by madd macky
Just picked up mine. She's dirty but I'm very happy with how it turned out.

What wheels are those? Love the look of them. Also what kit did you use? Is yours an RT by any chance?

Originally Posted by wdaniels
What kit did you use?

Originally Posted by NYHunter1
I used the kit from http://www.rocky-road.com/wk2-lift-kit.html the wheels are 20"x 9" +20 offset Fuel "Beast" and 275/55 R20 Goodyear DuraTrac from https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...tnum=755SR0WDT I also removed the load leveling shocks (that made clunking noises) and replaced with Monroe Reflex shocks and Dorman upper mounts (which stock rattled also) 5 hour install time w/ alignment. Rides Great, Handles Awesome and gets me where I need to go....Very Happy with these mods.....Good Luck
Fuel Beast eh? Nice, I like the look of those too.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:26 AM
madd macky
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, they are KMC Rockstar 2's. I really like them. I also used the Rocky Road kit. Mine is a crew not an R/T...

Old 07-29-2016, 09:28 AM
cuconwk
Default RRO Lift

I installed the RRO's and unfortunately i think i had busted the CV Axle on the driver side by forcing them too low. I have purchased new CV Axle to replace. But im still getting like a rapid thumping sound. The Steering wheel shake a little but i think that is because i have not done the alignment. I have also not done the backs yet, as this delayed me and lack of help. Has anyone experienced this or know what it could be? Did i mess up the transfer case? Also there is a clanking sound when i hit a bump or speed bump, is this the norm now that i lifted it? When i installed the driver side it seems that the shock is close to the lower controller arm, is this what maybe doing the clunk sound? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:32 AM
cuconwk
Default Lift Kit

Ok, So please ignore my previous comments...
I had a friend help me and it turns out it was that he didnt tighten the Control Arm. Thank to RR, who replied and told me what to check, it was found and problem solved. So the Install with instructions was perfect, but me being a Novice in this it took me over 10hours (2 Days) to get them installed. The most problem i have was removing everything. I have 155k miles on my 2011 D, and of course due to Snow, Salt and all of the road mess the bolts were a Bit rusty/hard to remove with my Garage Tools. In either case I am happy with the results, still wish it was a bit taller but this will do. Once i install the new tires (havent decided which or Size) I should get a little more height. But i must say, i think the ride is smoother. But it could just be me, lol Check out the Pics.

Attached Thumbnails Lifting the 3G Durango-20160706_190733.jpg   Lifting the 3G Durango-20160731_190218.jpg  
Old 08-25-2016, 08:55 PM
NorCalAthlete
Rookie

What equipment / tools do you need to do the RR 2.5" lift? And assuming it fits a 2016 RT AWD, should I get the control arms too? $700+ vs $400 is a big difference...

Old 08-26-2016, 07:54 AM
cuconwk
Default NorCalAthlete

"What equipment / tools do you need to do the RR 2.5" lift? And assuming it fits a 2016 RT AWD, should I get the control arms too? $700+ vs $400 is a big difference..."
Equipment used was mainly Rachets/sockets, pry bar and an extra pair of hands. The fron suspension (especially driver side) was the hardest to place them in. Be patient if your going to do it, i made the mistake and not remove the Axle so i busted the Boot, and have to replace it. Other than that is was pretty easy and very time consuming for a Novice. Follow the instructions step by step!..
As for the fit, you will need to contact RR to see if it is. I have a 2011 Citadel and it fit perfectly
As for the Control Arms, as stated on the website, you dont have to, but it is recommended. So i went ahead and played it safe, and replaced them. Since it is a 2011 with 157k miles, i figured it would be a matter of time that i needed to.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:03 AM
ArchieIce
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They look pretty cool lifted. I like what I'm seeing so far.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:46 PM
NorCalAthlete
Rookie

Originally Posted by madd macky
Thanks, they are KMC Rockstar 2's. I really like them. I also used the Rocky Road kit. Mine is a crew not an R/T...
Hey MM, not sure if you're more active here than the durango specific forum but what size wheels and tires are those? 265/50/18s? Something like that?

Old 10-12-2016, 02:48 PM
NorCalAthlete
Rookie

Originally Posted by cuconwk
"What equipment / tools do you need to do the RR 2.5" lift? And assuming it fits a 2016 RT AWD, should I get the control arms too? $700+ vs $400 is a big difference..."
Equipment used was mainly Rachets/sockets, pry bar and an extra pair of hands. The fron suspension (especially driver side) was the hardest to place them in. Be patient if your going to do it, i made the mistake and not remove the Axle so i busted the Boot, and have to replace it. Other than that is was pretty easy and very time consuming for a Novice. Follow the instructions step by step!..
As for the fit, you will need to contact RR to see if it is. I have a 2011 Citadel and it fit perfectly
As for the Control Arms, as stated on the website, you dont have to, but it is recommended. So i went ahead and played it safe, and replaced them. Since it is a 2011 with 157k miles, i figured it would be a matter of time that i needed to.
Lift kit ordered! Now I'm debating on wheels...I like the Fuel Beasts... but they only come in 18x9 (no 18x8 or 18x8.5) and I can't seem to find a place that tells me the offset...I'm hoping I don't need spacers. Didn't bother ordering the control arms, as I'm only at 4,000 miles.

How long did it take you all total? Is it an overnight project or just "have a few beers on a Sunday afternoon"? I worked as a tank mechanic and welder for several years and I've done plenty of work on humvees and other military vehicles, but Durangos aren't exactly designed the same way. I'm going to have a buddy helping me who's also pretty mechanically inclined.

Last edited by NorCalAthlete; 10-12-2016 at 11:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Lifting the 3G Durango