3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Cold Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 10:38 PM
CPW1265
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold Start Problem

In the past week i have had a problem cold starting my 11 Crew 3.6L.

It would on remote start sound like the its starting and then shut off. Then if I were to start it from inside it would sound like the engine isnt getting gas and then keep doing that for 5-10 sec until i shut it off and then when it does start it revs to 6000 rpm for 3 secs and goes to idle. The only difference from this week is that ive been putting in regular gas as opposed to the 89 i usually use. Also ive noticed that it doesnt have a problem when it is on a level roadway. I park in my driveway which is a slight incline.

Anyone else have this issue or heard of anyone with this issue? I plan on bringing it to the service department but just trying to see what I will be in store for.

Thanks

Old 08-06-2013, 08:14 AM
JRRF
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize this is a long shot, but it sure sounds like you are low on gas. The car will always think it has more gas when on an uphill grade (you don't need gas to coast downhill), and if you use the remotes start, it will quickly shut off if you are low on gas. That may not be your problem since I suspect you know you have sufficient gas, but it may help diagnose the problem.

As for gasoline grade, this engine will run just fine on any commercial grade gasoline available at your local filling station. You can get a million posts from people who swear by high octane gas, but it's all in your head. Short of driving a super high performance car (that costs triple your D) high grade gasoline makes no difference.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:17 AM
CPW1265
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRRF
I realize this is a long shot, but it sure sounds like you are low on gas. The car will always think it has more gas when on an uphill grade (you don't need gas to coast downhill), and if you use the remotes start, it will quickly shut off if you are low on gas. That may not be your problem since I suspect you know you have sufficient gas, but it may help diagnose the problem.

As for gasoline grade, this engine will run just fine on any commercial grade gasoline available at your local filling station. You can get a million posts from people who swear by high octane gas, but it's all in your head. Short of driving a super high performance car (that costs triple your D) high grade gasoline makes no difference.
I had a full tank. I'm suspecting that the crap that was at the bottom of the tank is in the lines. I've put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in it and we will see if it gets better but I park so I'm on a decline now in my driveway so I haven't had any problems.

Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Cold Start Problem