3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2012 Durango Crew Towing Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 04:56 PM
Pdwelch2000
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crew Member
Don't assume. I don't have the tow package but the tranny is still cooled.

And re the suspension, if the rear sags too much without it you can just move the weight back on the trailer to reduce tongue weight.
What a DB. Who was assuming anything.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:45 PM
fishandgrits
Veteran

Ah.....name calling on the internet. Gotta love it.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:16 PM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fishandgrits
Ah.....name calling on the internet. Gotta love it.
DB= Durango Bellman?

Old 01-22-2014, 08:26 AM
Crew Member
Professional

Originally Posted by Pdwelch2000
What a DB. Who was assuming anything.
You said "It will be less than the 6200 since you lack the transmission cooler..."

Therefore you were assuming he or she lacked the transmission cooler without visually inspecting their vehicle to verify.

Glad I could help.

And thanks for the new nickname - Durango Bellman - love it!

Old 01-22-2014, 08:35 AM
Crew Member
Professional

Originally Posted by clh1220
The manual has a note in there that's says without tow package it's 3500.the tow package does come with the load leveling shocks .
Eh, that's just a CYA statement since who knows what quality of aftermarket hitch people will zip-tie on.

I for one firmly believe the extras provided with the "towing package" are there to cover the full range of towing conditions (e.g. extreme heat, improperly loaded trailer, etc.) for owners who don't pay particularly close attention.

With the aftermarket Mopar hitch installed you just have to pay much closer attention to coolant, oil and tranny temps, and your rear suspension depression. If the latter is a problem, there are several good aftermarket load leveling products available (which may be even better than OEM).

After all, the basics that go into tow capacity are the engine itself, brakes, and frame strength. None of which change with the factory tow package.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:54 AM
Pdwelch2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by Crew Member
You said "It will be less than the 6200 since you lack the transmission cooler..."

Therefore you were assuming he or she lacked the transmission cooler without visually inspecting their vehicle to verify.

Glad I could help.

And thanks for the new nickname - Durango Bellman - love it!
You betcha...

Old 05-26-2014, 11:31 AM
Norge
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I've used my originally non-tow packaged V6 to tow my project car from NM to Long Beach, CA (through Phoenix) and back (through Vegas) in September (hit 107+ outside temps). This was after I put on the Dodge factory option tow hitch and harness. I had a brake controller of course (~4,500 lbs trailer/car combo). I had originally planned just air spring helpers, but I also replaced my rear shocks with the self leveling rear springs. Here's the load:

The transmission cooling was there already as well as the engine cooling listed on the Tow Package options. In terms of what is actually left missing from my Durango to match the factory tow package, it's an uprated fan and alternator. I actually have the tow group fan assembly part on hand, but it needs a different connector/harness and I haven't been able to dig into what parts I would need to wire it in (relays/harness/etc.)

Here's the thread I made about the trip and mods: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...onversion.html

Last edited by Norge; 05-26-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:18 PM
kell4life
Rookie

Well I just had the mopar oem hitch installed, and I'm excited to test it out. If anyone cares the hitch installed was $416.00 total (parts & labor) The r/t has everything wired up etc.. Just needs the connector.

Quick Reply: 2012 Durango Crew Towing Capacity