View Poll Results: What temp thermostat you runnin!
Stock
68.57%
180 t-stat
28.57%
160 t-stat
1.90%
Other(post in reply)
0.95%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Thermostats

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ellis42
BUMP

Just a bump to get a response looking to see what everyone thinks about me putting the Jet 180 on my truck

As Hammer stated earlier, with the mods you are talking about doing, a 180 would be beneficial to you. As a matter of fact. most programmers state that when running their higher octane tunes a 180 should be used. I've used one for years with no trouble even running stock tune.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NV290
Wingknutks is 100% correct. You should NOT be using anything less then a 200 degree T-Stat in these trucks unless you have reprogrammed the computer to compensate for it and re-gap your plugs AND live in a location where it's VERY hot every day AND you are subjecting the truck to heavy towing loads.

Putting a 180 degree thermostat in a stock Ram will lower your MPG because your engine will think the truck is not warmed up. And at 180 degrees, you will be burning off a good deal of the moisture in the oil either. So you will need to do more frequent oil changes. You may also run into emmissions issues which depending on where you live could be an issue.

Save your money and don't fall victim to yet another pointless mod for a mostly stock truck. You are NOT going to see any HP gains you will notice.

Using a 180 thermostat didn't cause any mpg loss in my truck on a stock tune, nor did it make me change the oil at closer intervals, the only thing that I noticed was a darker residue in the tailpipes, which I assume was from the computer enriching the mixture because of the lower running temperatures, but not so much as to see a change in mpg. You are correct about no hp gains on a stock tuned truck, but if you run a 180 you are ready for all the other mods you can do to your truck

Old 05-30-2014, 01:01 AM
Will_V2Lab
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't cracked open my thermostat housing so I'm not sure what I have (odds are its stock). But even on triple digit days, my truck will be just under half way on the gauge. Even when towing tractors it never hits more than half.

Quick Reply: Thermostats