3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

I want a truck again 3G vs 2G ram

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 12:14 PM
Nick Bain
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want a truck again 3G vs 2G ram

Hi, what do you guys think of the 3G with a 4.7. I don't want the hemi for fear of it being too expensive to maintain and their or is that just crazy talk? Is it a more complicated truck or is it still cheap to maintain like the old one.

Looking for real opinions from people with experience thanks!

I am looking at getting a truck again, I used to have a 99 1500 with 5.2. I liked how simple and cheap it was except for when the transmission pooped out.

I am looking for one as a second vehicle so I don't need anything too new or fancy.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:02 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Get the 5.7, you won't regret it. More power, minimal cost increase, and no more maintenance worries or issues over the smaller engine. You'll probably do better in the short term as the 5.7L truck will most likely be a bit more expensive, sure, but do some reading and searching here. If you are worried about pinching pennies between the two engines, then this truck (or any big truck) probably isn't the right choice, anyway.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:41 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You're less likely to be shelling out big money for a hemi truck than even a well maintained 4.7. Truck wise a 5.7 truck and a 4.7 truck are virtually identical except for engines and engine management systems.