3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram shakes at over 60 mph

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:31 AM
stratusguy02
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ram shakes at over 60 mph

How much weight is on each of the tires? If the tire itself is too far out of balance it is very difficult to properly balance the entire assembly (wheel/tire). This could be the cause. If there are a bunch of weights on that thing that may be a sign that the tire is junk.

Also, once had a tie rodend that went bad andit gavea nasty vibration at highway speeds. Check the steering system out.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:31 PM
AppleCountyHemi
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's a definite shake that comes on at 62 mph and stays to 70, it's very noticeable. It drives straight so I think the allignment is ok

None of the weightsare that large the biggest one is 2.25, but while I was looking at the weightsI may have found the problem. The drivers side front tire has no weights on the outside and a 1.00 on the inside, but while I was looking at the inside of the rim I noticed that the inside of the rim looks a little bent in one spot. It looks like old damage I'm surprised the tire shop did not mention it.

Would this be enough to cause a shake? I might try to throw the spare on to see if the shake goes away.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:33 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

A bent rim would definitely cause a vibration. You also are correct, your drive shaft is steel. The 4x4's have steel, the 4x2's are aluminum.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:40 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Hunter 9700 balancing machine is by far the best.
This is the machine that a 5 star Dodge dealership is required to have
but techs quit so often they might not have a well trained operator of the 9700. If you balance was done on anything else besides a Hunter 9700 I know it is annoying but the balance should be re-checked.

There is also a bushing problem that is cropping up on some new Rams.
See archived post below.
Good luck.
====
check out this older post:

https://dodgeforum.com/m_890200/tm.htm

especially the part where chadmech writes that:

The Tsb # is 02-001-07 REV A this has been there since mar 31 07. Chrysler is
aware of this is and is trying to adress the issue this tsb should get rid of
most of the vibration in the front end.....With regards to the tsb that the
dealer says doesn't apply (because it mainly deals with shudder during
braking). The bushings that are in the control arms are to soft causing the
suspension to bounce alot. I have personally done this tsb for your problem
along with road force balancing the tire and rims and the problem was almost
gone. I didn't own this truck but I drove it on the highway at 65 mph and I
couldn't stand the vibration. If this was my truck I would leave it there
until this issue was resolved. I hope this helps this is an issue that
Chrysler is aware and this is not going to go away.

You can directly read this particular TSB at Dave Fritz's website:

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2007/02-001-07.htm

Old 11-16-2007, 09:40 AM
loiler921
Professional

could be wheel bearings too. but i bet ists the reat ujoint

Old 11-16-2007, 01:47 PM
stratusguy02
Professional

I am going to have to disagree with the wheel bearing. That would make some audible noise all the time if it was bad.

After seeing that TSB bushing info, I am pretty convinced that is what it is.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:19 PM
AppleCountyHemi
Rookie

Yes I am sure its not a wheel bearing too. There is no noise andit just passed a VA inspection and that is one of the things they check. They love to fail cars for that around here I just had to replace one in my wife's van because of the inspection.

I'm not sure about the TSB though it seems it is for 06 and 07 models mine is an 03. There is also no shuddering or pulling while braking. Is there a way someone here could tell by the VIN if this TSB or any other TSB has been done to this truck?

I tried turning off the OD to see if the shaking would start at a different speed due to the RPM increase, but it didn't still came on at 62. I think this might eliminate the driveshaft and u joint possibilites.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:54 PM
stratusguy02
Professional

Actually that just confirms that it is a driveline problem since the vehicle is traveling at the same speed the driveline is spinning at the same speed, just your trans is in a different gear and your engine is at a different speed.

Try to turn your driveshaft 180° out. Mark it, undo it at the pumpkin and flip it 180 and hook it back up. Try that out. If it doesn't work put it back and try it on the front prop shaft.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Silver Eagle
Captain

If your truck is only a month old ,take it back to the dealer and tell them whats going on. Make sure that they write it up and you get a copy. .

Old 11-26-2007, 07:47 PM
AppleCountyHemi
Rookie

My truck is only a month old to me but it's an 03 with 131,000 miles on it. Also it was a Carmaxwholesale lot purchase, and was strictly an as is purchase no warrenty.

Anyway got the tires balanced again, didn't fix it. Got it aligned, that didn't fix it either.

So this weekend Iput it on jack stands and ran it up to 70 mph to see if any of the wheels were bent or shaking. I tried all the wheels on the back and it ran smooth as glass. Then I put some wheelson the front put it in 4 Hi and let it rip up to 70 mph. It shook really bad so the problem is isolated to the front end somewhere. The bearings are fine, and theball joints and tie rods are tight. The thing that does not seem normal are the front drive shafts. They have a lot of play and movement in them both side to side and up and down. Not on the cv joint side, but the side next to the front differential. This does not seem normal to me, but I am new to Dodges and 4X4's, I checked the driveshafts on my front wheel drive cars and they do not move like that.

Has anyone had the front driveshafts replaced on their Ram? How hard a job is this to do yourself? How expensive is this job at a shop?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Ram shakes at over 60 mph