3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electronic Throttle Control Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 07:41 PM
ejw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same codes p2173(high air flow detected/massive vacuum leak) and p2106(throttle/forced limited power) on my 03 Hemi. Of course the Electronic Throttle Control light came on flashing (worse kind). About 25,000 miles ago the ETC light came on not flashing. I cleaned the throttle body and that fixed that problem. This time I thought it might need cleaning and I replaced the gaskets on both sides of the throttle body thinking maybe there was a vacuum leak there. No success. I thought I might have to replace the throttle body, but I wanted someone else to look at it. I took it to a local shop, since I have had some bad experiences with the dealer. They took off the intake manifold and found two cracks. The manifold (made of plastic) was also warped evidently due to time and temperature. They told me there was no after market manifold and it had to come from the dealer. They replaced it and it has run fine ever since. The manifold was $293.50, MAP sensor, $34.22, and EGR plug, $27.60. The 03's didn't have an EGR sensor but the manifold has a port for it. Labor was $91.00. Hope this helps.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Olerodder
Default ETC and idle are giving me fits!

For some time I have had the ETC (lightning bolt) come on in my 08 Hemi Ram. The check engine light never comes on, but the ETC usually comes on when I am under partial throttle like leaving a stop light..........the motor will "nose over" for as little as a second or maybe up to 5 seconds...........then go off and the truck will run normal for weeks. Also, when I have driven the truck for maybe 10 minutes, when I come to a stop light and stop the idle will go down to 500rpm. The motor is still running smoothly but the idle just comes down. When I hit the airconditioning button on and then turn it off the engine will go up to 650rpm and stay there...............then at the next stop light it will go down to 500rpm.....................just frustrating.
Anyone have any ideas...............it's now got 46k miles.
Thanks,
John

Old 09-14-2012, 10:38 PM
ABNDaddy

Ok, 2008 Ram 1500 Mega Cab 4x4... Wife pulled in the driveway and the engine shut down the ETC light lit up she restarted drove about 300 yds to the house and it stopped again, I started it about 10 mins later no apparent issues. I just checked the codes using the Key method and came up with a code of P1618. Any ideas what that could be?

Old 09-16-2013, 12:53 PM
tomallinder
Default CEL and ETC

I have a 2003 Dodge 1500 5.7L hemi. 122K miles on it. Have taken great care of it with fluids, filters and maintenance.

Was coming back to NC from northern Michigan and the ETC came on. I was in some slow moving traffic and truck still running fine. When traffic cleared I sped back up but truck would not shift into overdrive. And, its hard to drive on interstate hwy with 70 mph speed limit without OD!

I found an exit to pull off on and found Dodge dealership. They told me it was the electronic throttle control but no tech available to check and see what error code was. They were getting ready to close and it was Saturday so I would have to wait til Monday...

I started the truck up and the ETC light had gone OFF. The CEL light has been on for 4 years and no one can seem to get it to go off so no concern there. I went back out on interstate and the truck shifted normally into OD and I made it all the way back to NC with no further problems.

So, sometimes, just shut it off, let it sit for 5 minutes, start 'er up and off you go. I am going to go to a Dodge Dealership this week and get this truck on a computer. Its way overdue...

Old 10-24-2013, 09:24 PM
tina6253
Default help

what is the code p2017 2005 diesel truck was idleing fast when put in drive and burning out now start and then dies

Old 11-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Redmop
Default 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan

Need help van decided not to start and the symbol of the etc came up. What can I do other than a lot of money in towing and dealership. 2000 km over warranty!
Redmop

Old 11-21-2013, 10:08 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Redmop
Need help van decided not to start and the symbol of the etc came up. What can I do other than a lot of money in towing and dealership. 2000 km over warranty!
Redmop
Redmop,

How many KM's are on your vehicle? If you'd like to PM me your VIN#, I can review the warranty for you. If you are located in Canada, Roadside Assistance is covered for 5 years or 100,000km, whichever occurs first.

Feel free to PM me for further review or if you have any questions.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Bda123075
Default Electronic Throttle Problem

I have a 2007 ram 1500 hemi and I constantly receive codes P0344, 0652, 1652....this has been going on for some time and so far the ECM, throttle body, pedal position sensor, and camshaft sensor have been replaced..and the codes continue. Looking for any suggestions..check engine light and the "lightening bolt" light come on..truck has reduced power and have to turn off/turn on to get it running correctly

Last edited by Bda123075; 10-11-2014 at 08:28 PM. Reason: more detail
Old 10-14-2014, 03:23 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bda123075
I have a 2007 ram 1500 hemi and I constantly receive codes P0344, 0652, 1652....this has been going on for some time and so far the ECM, throttle body, pedal position sensor, and camshaft sensor have been replaced..and the codes continue. Looking for any suggestions..check engine light and the "lightening bolt" light come on..truck has reduced power and have to turn off/turn on to get it running correctly
Bda123075,

I'm sorry to learn of your issues. The "lightning bolt" lamp is the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) light. When this is illuminated the vehicle is usually drivable, however, it is recommended that you visit your servicing dealer. If the light flashes, immediate service is required.

Have you recently had a formal diagnosis?

Old 12-21-2014, 12:56 PM
azngosh8r
Default ETC Problems - Need advice!

My 2007 Ram Hemi is still having issues.

A week or so ago I was driving thru an intersection and heard a tone about the same time I lost power..aka 'limp mode' as I see it described here. I limped to a side street and had to have it towed home. The next day it started fine and I took it on a 5 hour highway trip with no issues. Been ok for a week.

Now today a week later, it is doing the same thing. Flashing lightning bolt, bad idle and no power.

I tried the 'turn key 3 times trick for codes' but got nothing until I hppend to hit the reset odometer button them it flashed 338, then 543, then 44.

Does that tell anyone anything?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle Control Problems