3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Knocking or ticking sound after the engine is running for a while in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 06:04 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on synthetic oil.
and lucas oil stabliazer is guarenteed not to mess anything up in any engine or void any warrenties or they will pay to fix/replace it. but ive never heard that it shouldnt be put it in a hemi. better safe than sorry i guess.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:38 PM
TxbornTxraised
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually started to notice the "pinging" noise after I changed to a full synthetic oil. I have a 04 Hemi with 40,000k on the odometer. What else could it possibly be?

Old 12-26-2008, 08:21 AM
popps68
Rookie

the 4.7 are quieter engines the 5.7 is louder of the two, my friend has a brand new 08 hemi, my 05 4.7 with 37000 on it is still quieter than his.
Also have to make sure you are using the right weight oil, IT WILL MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE. Also dodge uses hypurectic Pistons that actual have a very small amount of "looseness" to them when first cranked up. I have had absolutely no mechanical problems with my pick-up, and iam so happy i dont have the MDS, so many of my friends are now after some time are starting to have problems just like gm did with the cadilaac 8-6-4. Merry christmas to all and happy new year

Old 12-26-2008, 08:57 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The Hemi has a noticeable sound that is referred to as the "Hemi Tick". I've had it from day one, June 2004, and to date have had no engine issues whatsoever. My truck came with 3 year/36k mile of free oil changes every 3k miles. I took advantage of it for the first year (about 18k miles - due to a divorce it was the only period that my truck was also my daily driver). Started doing the changes myself at 21k miles and went to Mobil 1 and noticed the "tick" got a tad quieter. After about two and a half years and 15k miles of Mobil 1, I switched to Royal Purple (and 6k change intervals) about a year ago. First two things I noticed with the RP was that it smoothed out the engine at idle a good bit, and although still there, the tick is noticeably quieter still.

Oh and Popps: I'm curious to know what "problems" these friends of yours are having with MDS Hemi's. Like you, I'm not a fan of MDS at all, and it's why when I finally trade up, it'll (hopefully) be to a CTD, but if the cash is not there, then at least a SFA 2500 with the non-MDS Hemi in it. I buy an 8 cyl. truck, I want my 8 cyls. ALL THE TIME!
But that said, I've not heard of ANY issues regarding MDS in my circles. I belong to about five Hemi and/or Dodge related forums, one of my regular golf partners is a Dodge service mgr. and I frequently "hang" at a local Mopar performance shop. I've seen nor heard of any issues directly related to MDS, short of the annoying sound it makes with aftermarket exhausts, which of course has nothing to do with the way it performs...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-26-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Scorpio_08_HEMI
Rookie

I occasionally here the same low end knocking in mine a few minutes after start up while sitting and idling. This seems to be normal from what I have heard and read. My 03 Monte Carlo did the same thing as do most GM vehicles. Its in the design. My MC had 140,000 on it and I never had a engine related problem. I drove that car very hard too. Dont worry about it with my RAM. LIFETIME POWER TRAIN WARRANTY. I will keep my foot in it. It's a HEMI. BTW I use RP and high quality 91-93 octane fuel.

Last edited by Scorpio_08_HEMI; 12-26-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:50 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had the annoying Tick in my Hemi since about 400 miles. I have 2600 miles now on my '08 and it's still there with Mobil 1. I have my MDS turned off with my Diablo Predator and it has nothing to do with the tick.
The tick is due to too much clearance in the valve guides. the valve is what's making the noise.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Cool. Good to know it's pretty normal with the 5.7. I can't say it HASN'T been doing it since I got it new, but I'm just now noticing it.

Quick Reply: Knocking or ticking sound after the engine is running for a while in cold weather