3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Labor Price to Install H/O camshafts and "MOPAR" Beehive Valve Springs w/Retainers

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Labor Price to Install H/O camshafts and "MOPAR" Beehive Valve Springs w/Retainers

Merry belated Christmas fellas. Hope everyones holiday is going well.

I just have a quick question for anybody whos very well versed into the prices for labor on cars.

1.) I am interested in buying some H/O cams and new valve springs for my truck. I heard it will up my 4.7l @ 235 HP to about 260 HP. How much would it cost to have this installed?

2.) The parts are going to come to $375.00 roughly. If I do buy these items to up the HP, do I need any other things that would be mandatory so that my engine doesnt implode or explode on me? I dont beat her up so I dont want to overhaul much if need being. Do I even need the new valve springs?

3.) I run synthetic so Im sure the insides are pristine and she has 66k. Also, on monday Im going to a shop to have them install a SRT 10 Instrument Cluster. Ive asked and people told me its like a neon swap with a srt one and it would work but others say it wont so Im giving it a go lol.

My only fear is I would bite on these parts because their not that exspensive and I would be able to add some nice HP for the price, but Im afraid that labor is going to kill the project totally. After I get the cluster installed on Monday, I am going to call two dodge dealerships fo average prices.

Thanks for all your time and appreciate any input!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-26-2008, 12:52 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Labor estimates are a tough call on a forum. Too many variables such as dealer install? Private? Shade Tree? Region where you live?, etc. etc. etc.

As far as other things that might be needed or desired to make your standard 4.7 into a 4.7 H.O., I've found this site to be very informative. I happened on it because my 4.7 H.O. is a Grand Cherokee, but there is great info for any 4.7 owner.

The gains of a H.O. over a standard 4.7 are significant at about 35 HP and 40 ft./lbs. torque, although there are many differences between the two besides just cams & springs.
These include a completely redesigned air intake system, high flow fuel injectors, dual knock sensors, much higher compression ratio, Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Platinum Plugs, unique exhaust valves, lifters, special cam shaft, special forged crankshaft, modified heads, modified intake manifold, modified connecting rods, full floating piston pins, dome shaped pistons and a unique crankshaft damper.

A lot of parts and a lot of money for 35 HP & 40 ft/lbs torque in my opinion. Although I've had two Grand Cherokees with the 4.7 and my current Overland has the 4.7 H.O., my "butt dyno" swears there is a lot more HP difference between the two...

http://www.wjjeeps.com/ho_engine.htm#DIFFERENCES

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-26-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:21 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran

Hammer, the only reason I was asking was because I was "informed" I could add the camshafts and valves and that would be all I needed to see 20-25 more HP. I wouldnt have to worry about all the other stuff a H/O has. This would be a "simple" swap and drive and go. I was just hoping the parts would be 375 but then getting raped on labor parts 375 labor 1500 or something way too overpriced. I was hoping it could all be had for 700 including labor but I guess i have my head in the clouds lol.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:25 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be aware that the service manual warns not to use any used instrument clusters. It says to replace with a Mopar service unit (new) only because once the cluster is "initialized" for one vehicle it can cause damage when installed into a different model.

The instrument cluster in these trucks is responsible for a lot more than showing us our speed & gauge readings. Your truck may very well refuse to start with a different cluster installed and there's no guarantee that reinstalling the original cluster will restore operation.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:31 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran

HUH the Dodge dealer told me if I got the miles reprogrammed ($175.00 Powls speedo in lancaster PA) it would work and they would install it for $80.00. I hope for my sake and the dodge dealers they just put that in the manaul. Thanks for the info, Ill ask them when I roll in on monday morning. Thanks again man.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:33 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Oh, no problem, I wasn't trying to talk you in or out of doing the work. Simply making sure you didn't expect to have a full H.O. simply by doing the cams.
Another option for you (although a little pricey) might be to look into a higher end cam. I know the KRC 206's have a realistic 36 HP and 66 ft/lb. torque gains AT THE REAR WHEEL by themselves and except for a PCM flash, require no other modifications.

Just food for thought...

Old 12-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran
Default thnx

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Oh, no problem, I wasn't trying to talk you in or out of doing the work. Simply making sure you didn't expect to have a full H.O. simply by doing the cams.
Another option for you (although a little pricey) might be to look into a higher end cam. I know the KRC 206's have a realistic 36 HP and 66 ft/lb. torque gains AT THE REAR WHEEL by themselves and except for a PCM flash, require no other modifications.

Just food for thought...

Thanks for the info. I am on a limited budget lol. The speedo is something I wanted because once I get a SCT tuner I can take off the speed limiter and measure top end; then I was going to do the cam and valve purchase and install but seems to me its going to cost to much. I just figured its the best bang for the buck! If anybody has any comments on the speedo or labor prices for cam and valve install, let me know. Im in PA if its any differance. If anyone has tried the cluster swap and your sure its not going to work lol ill call it off and bite the bullet for the $200.00 it cost for the cluster lol. Dealer said it would work so I guess I am gullible. I read over 30 posts about people who swap out their stock cluster for the srt one for their neons and they dont even get the miles changed and they work perfectly. I figure more then likely same boat applies.

Thanks again for all the info.

Quick Reply: Labor Price to Install H/O camshafts and "MOPAR" Beehive Valve Springs w/Retainers