3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Factory fog light switch to control auxiliary lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 01:42 AM
dakotatrevor
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory fog light switch to control auxiliary lights

I'd like to add lights behind the grill (possibly 4), but have not found a switch and location to look completely factory in my truck.

Here's just a thought, to use the factory switch...the first 'bump' of the factory fog switch turns the factory fogs on, then the 2nd bump shuts the factory lights off, and turnes on one set of my aux lights, 3rd bump would be the 2nd aux set with all others off, 4th bump would be all of them, 5th bump would be all off...all while having the fog indicator in the dash be on, anytime any fog/aux lights are on.

I have not looked at any wiring diagrams yet to see what the factory fog circuit looks like, but figured Id throw the idea out there...is it feasible?

Old 05-17-2012, 08:31 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotatrevor
I'd like to add lights behind the grill (possibly 4), but have not found a switch and location to look completely factory in my truck.

Here's just a thought, to use the factory switch...the first 'bump' of the factory fog switch turns the factory fogs on, then the 2nd bump shuts the factory lights off, and turnes on one set of my aux lights, 3rd bump would be the 2nd aux set with all others off, 4th bump would be all of them, 5th bump would be all off...all while having the fog indicator in the dash be on, anytime any fog/aux lights are on.

I have not looked at any wiring diagrams yet to see what the factory fog circuit looks like, but figured Id throw the idea out there...is it feasible?
No. All those "bumps" would require programming of a micro chip along with integrating one because the switch itself cannot handle that by itself.
It also sounds like a total PIA, more than you realize. You the heck wants to hit their fog button 4 times to turn all the lights off, or 5 times if you went past the last setting that you were looking for? Not really practical.
I mounted an illuminated rocker switch in a factory dash plug that is removeable and replaceable just above the parking brake lever. Look HERE it's 4 pics down.

You could certainly have your Factory Foglight switch activate your aftermarket lights though, but they would be either on with your fogs, or off when your fogs are on. No other combination!

Old 05-17-2012, 09:41 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog

You could certainly have your Factory Foglight switch activate your aftermarket lights though, but they would be either on with your fogs, or off when your fogs are on. No other combination!
I currently have my off-road lights set up thisaway, not much of a fan of added switches. I've just never been able to find/install one that looked "factory" enough for my liking.
Rarely if ever use my fogs, so it's no biggie that they come on together.

Fixin' to change this though. I like the wireless relay I put in the Jeep and bought one a while back for the truck, just need to get the gumption to install it. It's really a nice setup when you also have the HomeLink system as you can very simply program the buttons to turn on/off the wireless relay...

Old 05-17-2012, 06:39 PM
dakotatrevor
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I currently have my off-road lights set up thisaway, not much of a fan of added switches. I've just never been able to find/install one that looked "factory" enough for my liking.
This is exactly why I'm trying to come up with something different...I can't find a factory looking switch either.

I can't put a switch where you did dirtydog, as I have power adjustable petals, that use that spot.

The wireless relay that you've talked about Hammer could work for me, but I would have to give it up as the garage door opener.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:00 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotatrevor
This is exactly why I'm trying to come up with something different...I can't find a factory looking switch either.

I can't put a switch where you did dirtydog, as I have power adjustable petals, that use that spot.

The wireless relay that you've talked about Hammer could work for me, but I would have to give it up as the garage door opener.

Why? The HomeLink in both of my vehicles has three programmable buttons, only one of which I use for the garage door. That leaves two available...

Old 05-17-2012, 08:37 PM
dakotatrevor
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Why? The HomeLink in both of my vehicles has three programmable buttons, only one of which I use for the garage door. That leaves two available...
I use it to open 3 different doors...but park in none of them...seems strange I bet lol!

Old 05-18-2012, 12:39 AM
Bent
Veteran

This one isn't a factory switch, but I think it looks like it belongs....
Name:  IMG_0123.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  52.6 KB

Quick Reply: Factory fog light switch to control auxiliary lights