Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 3rd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changing spark plugs in a 4.7? I swear I did a search

Old 05-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Rookie

Default Changing spark plugs in a 4.7? I swear I did a search

I did a search and couldn't find the answers to my questions, so here they are:

1. Is changing the plugs on a 2004 1500 4X4 with a 4.7 just as straightforward as pulling the old plugs and replacing them with new ones? I understand the hemi's are a pain, so I'm just wondering how the job is on a 4.7. Do I need a torque wrench? How many pounds should I torque them to?

2. Is it ok to spray a little pb blaster on the plugs the day before to hopefully loosen them up? The last thing I want to do is wreck the threads trying to remove them.

Thanks
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 05-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Rookie

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4.7 V8, Flex Fuel, 2WD

I had no problems on mine. I have a 2008 though. There simple. The only problem I ran into was finding a spark plug socket to fit down the shaft where the spark plug is. Almost got one stuck cause it was a little to fat. Luckily I had like 5 different sockets. I used a 5/8 I believe to remove them
Old 05-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Professional

Vehicle: 03 Ram 1500 4.7

Its not that difficult on the 4.7. We only have 8 plugs. The last 2 on the passenger side are the most difficult. The plugs shouldn't be smoked down were you should need any bp blast. I don't have my manual with me. Plugs don't get a lot of torque. Make sure you put some anti seize on the threads before you reinstall the plugs. The best socket would be a 5/8 spark plug socket, but you can use a piece of vacuum tubing to start the plugs. You find a piese that will fit snuggle around the insulator. Its best to start them by hand so you can tell that they have start smoothly. I think I got most of the basics. Maybe someone else will chime in with the torque.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Captain

Vehicle: 2003 1500 4.7L 4x4 Laramie Edition
truegent81

for the specifics on the torque, and any other specific questions, i would download the manual for your truck. you can go to weeds page and get them from his sig or do a search for it.

i am not advanced as i would like to be and this manual is pretty detailed. i actually read it during down time. i just wish i had the tools and space :|

oh yea, +1 on the tubing to start the plugs. i have a 12' piece of 3/8' tubing i believe in my tool box. always nice piece to have and for only a few cents from AZ
Old 05-12-2011, 08:46 AM

Torque on the plugs is 14-16 lb/ft. If you're worried about removing the threads when you remove the plugs, do the job when the engine is cold, that is, before starting the truck in the morning. A dab of anti-sieze on the threads is a good idea. A small dollop of dielectric lube on the plug insulator will help keep the boot from sticking to the plug for next time.

Terry
Old 05-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Vehicle: 04 Dodge Ram QC
TrickedOut DodgeRam Weedahoe1977
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

Although it is good practice to do the proper TQ, I have always snugged mine and did another 1/8 turn.

Last edited by weedahoe; 05-12-2011 at 12:46 PM..
Old 05-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Rookie

Thank You guys
Old 05-12-2011, 01:07 PM