3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission issue!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 06:34 PM
todb
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission issue!

07 Ram Hemi 106000 km I was on my way home from the lake this afternoon going about 60mph on level flat ground my transmission dropped out of OD, I got home I knew something was wrong because I had to rev the crap out of it to get it up the driveway, got it in the garage and sure enough I was down a litre and a bit of fluid. Filled it up and went for a drive everything seems to be back to normal, I had the tranny serviced at 100000 km at a Dodge dealer about a month later I had my oil changed and the service guy told me he had to put a litre of tranny fluid in I figured the tech at the dealership just didn't put enough fluid in, but now it is low again. Where could the fluid be going ,everything looks dry underneath, it seems to be normal now that I added fluid but could I have caused damage by running it a litre low?

Old 05-25-2014, 06:47 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

It has to be measured when HOT and on level ground.

BUT, from the sounds of it, your Trans- Tcase seal might be leaking. Check your t-case fluid level. Grab a pan because it might drain out of the fill plug once removed.

I'm assuming you have a 4wd? i am assuming this because on a 2wd, the Transmission is isolated and the fluid has nowhere else to go but on the ground.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:03 PM
todb
Rookie

Originally Posted by dirtydog
It has to be measured when HOT and on level ground.

BUT, from the sounds of it, your Trans- Tcase seal might be leaking. Check your t-case fluid level. Grab a pan because it might drain out of the fill plug once removed.

I'm assuming you have a 4wd? i am assuming this because on a 2wd, the Transmission is isolated and the fluid has nowhere else to go but on the ground.
I checked the fluid level as soon as I got home so engine was at operating temp. Yes it is a 4wd I just finished crawling around underneath the truck I cant see any leaks. Lines to the rad are all dry.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:17 PM
todb
Rookie

UPDATE!!

So I pulled the fill plug on the transfer case expecting a steady flow of ATF to come out, level was perfect would this eliminate the seal being bad? Also looked in rad looks to me like there is no ATF in there also truck is dry underneath definitely no leaks, after bringing
fluid level back to normal trans is working properly I guess I had a lacky tech working on my truck I am going to call the stealership and raise hell in the morning!

Old 05-30-2014, 09:36 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

They probably did not let your truck get hot when measuring the fluid level.
Thsi happens when parked because the engine heats up first. The transmission fluid doesn't cycle enough to get everything hot enough until driven a few miles.
So, when the terch leaves a vehicle running in the bay to get up to operating temp, this gets the engine up to temp and not the transmsision for which he is actually measuring the fluid level.
If they used a machine to transfer the fluid, that machine only puts back in what comes out. So this would mean you didnt have enough fluid prior.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:02 AM
rought
Professional

Vehicle has to drive in OD to fully bleed the system too.. before checking after fluid change.

Quick Reply: Transmission issue!