3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Burning a ton of Fuel - New PCM

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 12:15 PM
mdweir
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning a ton of Fuel - New PCM

Hey folks, I have an 02 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 with the 4.7 in it. I recently had an issue where the truck simply wouldn't start, didn't seem to be getting gas. On the very rare occasion it did start, it ran like a top so long as I didn't turn it off. At this point there were no codes and neither the Check Engine light or ABS light were on (read on for specific reason for mentioning ABS light). I had my trusted mechanic check into the issue and after checking essentially every possible issue, he was sure it was the PCM. Suggested the Dodge dealer double check it, so like a good little soldier I had the local Dodge dealership do so and replace it with a new one.

$1700 later, they first replaced the spark plugs (needed to be done anyway) and then replaced the PCM which then fixed the startup issue. Starts like a champ now. However, ABS light now flashes repeatedly when running. The check engine light is on. Codes on the CE light are P0171, and P0442 which makes sense, as I burn through a liter of gas quite literally per KM. And of course, as the PCM is compensating for the Lean code, a ton of black smoke is pouring out the tail pipe. It also has a very rough idle (doesn't stall out though strangely enough).

I had to pick the truck up after hours, so I couldn't confront anyone about the issues straight away. Instead, took it home that night and took it back in early the next morning. Because I took it back in early the next morning and it's only a 3km drive, I wasn't aware of how much gas I was burning, of what the actual codes were (I know, need to get a code reader), or of the rough idle/black smoke at that time. So I asked for the codes from the blinking ABS light and CE light from the dealer themselves when I went in the next day, and they informed me they didn't check them because they fell outside the scope of the $1700 work they already did in replacing the PCM, and that they were 100% positive it was an electrical issue, and not an issue with the computer. I mentioned I knew that in some cases a blinking ABS sensor is an issue with the speed sensor or an improperly setup PCM. They said ah nope, definitely electrical, and they would gladly pull the codes and begin the work on the electrical (but it would cost $100 for them to read the codes and an additional $2000 to trace wires). I said to hell with that and got a buddy to hook it up to his cheap little code reader to pull the two codes listed above. This is when I noticed the other issues mentioned.

So, am I wrong in thinking that this does in fact fall well within the scope of the work they did, and that I should absolutely lose my mind when I head back in there first thing Monday morning?

Last edited by mdweir; 03-24-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:24 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

yep, could entirely be PCM related which they gouged you for in the first place, it's a $900 job here...

Quick Reply: Burning a ton of Fuel - New PCM