Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 3rd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What is the Dodge Drive Cycle

Old 07-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Grand Champion
2005 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 RCSB
Default What is the Dodge Drive Cycle

I need to get my truck to pass emissions but it is "not ready" according to the OBDII test. The O2 Sensor and the EGR are both reading not ready. Is there a specific test/driving style/MPH/Distance that needs to be done on the drive cycle and what criteria needs to be met in order for the readiness monitors to activate again?

From ADEQ's web page:
Quote:
How the status of your vehicle’s emission systems becomes “ready” again:
Driving the vehicle in a normal fashion may allow your vehicle’s to become “ready”. However, for certain emission systems and certain vehicles, the status returns to “ready” only after driving the vehicle a specific way. This specific “drive cycle” is determined by the manufacturer. Speak to your repair technician regarding this drive cycle and what you or your repair technician should do to prepare for your retest.
If you perform your own repairs and do not have a scan tool, you should drive the vehicle in a “normal” fashion for up to a week. This “normal” driving should include both “stop-and-go” driving as well as cruising speed driving.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!

Cammed, pcm/tcm tuned, and so much more....
Old 07-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Record Breaker
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 2500, 6spd 4x4, 2005 Dodge 3500 Dually, 5.9, NV5600 6spd
same

I may be wrong, but I would think that disconnecting the battery and resetting the pcm would cause the whole system to reset.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Grand Champion
2005 Dodge Ram 1500

Right but for emissions if for whatever reason that has been reset you need to do a drive cycle before the systems are "ready".

Old 07-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Default Dodge Drive Cycle

I had the same thing happen to me after the last update flash. I had gotten a letter from Chrysler/Dodge that because of the latest flash I might fail emissions testing in California. Took the truck in, as the letter indicated, and under warranty even though my original warranty was far gone, they re flashed an update to the update. Took the truck back for a re-test and it passed with flying colors.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Champion
2006 Dodge Dakota

Vehicle: 06 SLT 4.7 4x4

I recently went through the same thing. You have to drive at least 150 miles, (not at once), consisting of both highway and city driving. Do some gradual acceleration, hold it steady at 55-60 mph for a while, and decelerate by letting off of the gas petal coasting to slower speeds. Pretty much just some casual driving and you'll pass the inspection.
If you disconnect your battery, give it a tune with a programmer, or have the dealer flash your PCM, you'll have to put all of those miles back on again.

The longer that you drive, and put miles on your truck, the better chance that your sensors will be in a 'ready' state.
My truck passed on the second try, but my car took 3 trips through inspection to get those damn sensors 'ready'.

Good luck.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Grand Champion
2005 Dodge Ram 1500

Put 260 miles on, stop and go traffic, gradual acceleration and deceleration still reading not ready

Old 07-15-2012, 01:47 PM