3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 ram 1500 SLT 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 05:59 AM
robby91
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 ram 1500 SLT 4WD

Hey guys,
My CEL light came on and my tranny started acting funny. I had what to me was a hard down shift then it wouldnt go into the highest gear (Automatic by the way) I can cut the truck off and restart it and it may go 3-4 days before it does it again...P2706 is the code. I dont want to start swapping parts so I figured I'd ask you guys what the likely culprit is.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:44 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

THE P2706 IS A CODE FOR THE MULTI-SELECT SOLENOID , SAYING IT HAS AN OPEN CIRCUIT. the MS solenoid serves primarily to provide 2nd and 3rd gear limp-in operation.

POSIBLE CAUSES ARE
  1. THE SOLENOID
  2. A SHORT OR OPEN IN ONE OR MORE WIRES GOING TO THE SOLENOID
  3. POSSIBLY PCM
the diagnosis for this is extremely long and tedious so i would just check around the trans for loose connectors or frayed wires. the most common failure is the solenoid.

REMOVAL

Remove the valve body from the transmission NOTE: The valve body can be removed for service without having to remove the transmission assembly. The valve body can be disassembled for cleaning and inspection of the individual components.
  1. Shift transmission into PARK.
  2. Raise vehicle.
  3. Disconnect wires at the solenoid and pressure switch assembly connector.
  4. Position drain pan under transmission oil pan.
  5. Remove transmission oil pan.
  6. Remove the primary oil filter (1) from valve body.
  7. Remove bolts (1) attaching valve body to transmission case.
  8. Lower the valve body and work the electrical connector out of transmission case.
  9. Separate the valve body from the transmission
Remove the bolts (1) holding the transmission solenoid/TRS assembly onto the valve body.
Separate the transmission solenoid/TRS assembly from the valve body. INSTALLATION
  1. Place TRS selector plate in the PARK position.
  2. Position the transmission solenoid/TRS assembly onto the valve body. Be sure that both alignment dowels are fully seated in the valve body and that the TRS switch contacts are properly positioned in the selector plate
  3. Install the bolts (1) to hold the transmission solenoid/TRS assembly onto the valve body.
  4. Tighten the solenoid assembly screws adjacent to the arrows cast into the bottom of the valve body first. Tighten the screws to 5.7 N·m (50 in.lbs.).
  5. Tighten the remainder of the solenoid assembly screws to 5.7 N·m (50 in.lbs.).
  6. Install the valve body into the transmission.
Info from just.ask.dodge

Old 12-06-2012, 10:12 AM
robby91
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks...

Quick Reply: 2005 ram 1500 SLT 4WD