3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge AC Compressors - Why are they failing

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have to agree that there is likely another problem that is causing premature failure of the compressors...... You may want to get a leak test done on the A/C system and see if maybe there is something else going on there.

I've never heard of 4 A/C Compressors breaking like that out of nowhere, so there has to be another cause of the problem.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:33 PM
BigSloth
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did they flush the system after the first compressor bit the dust? 99% of the time when the actual compressor fails(not the clutch) it sends debris, aluminum dust, seal chunks, pieces of reed valves, etc all going through every little piece of the system. Every time a compressor goes out, you are supposed to flush the entire system several times with a special flush chemical, to remove the debris from the system. If you dont, or you just blow it out with shop air like some shops do, little pieces will dislodge over time and eat up the new compressor, leaving even more trash in the system.

I can say that truthfully, every single compressor failure I have worked on after some other shop replaced it, has been due to not flushing the system.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:09 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, they flushed it when I had the compressor rebuilt..

A thought has come to mind, my TIPM electrical system has a floating ground, could that be causing the clutch to be partially or constantly engaged leading to these issues?

Last edited by Cthulhu; 07-05-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:38 AM
jwleonard
Rookie

By "floating ground" do you mean loose ground as in intermittently not making contact? If so, even if it isn't the cause of this you should fix it to prevent other problems.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

It was diagnosed by a remote starter installer that was having issues with the compustar system he put in... I assume floating ground means that neutral is getting a positive charge, making the difference > or < 12V from hot to ground... I am not certain on this definitition, but that's what I've always understood it to be.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:59 AM
Cthulhu
Captain

Bumpity

Old 07-07-2013, 01:06 AM
jwleonard
Rookie

You may want to check with that installer to see what he was actually talking about. As far as I know there shouldn't be any actual floating grounds by design your truck; I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I am an aircraft electrician and learned years ago in electrical theory if you have a ground disconnected it will have source voltage on it as long as the rest of the circuit is closed. Many people don't know about this and I imagine this is what he was seeing and it just needs to be reconnected at the ground point or the wire is broken and needs repaired. It may or may not be related to your problem but really should be fixed.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:28 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I highly doubt there is a "floating ground" anywhere..... I am betting that there is likely a "loose" ground connection that is causing some issues.

For there to be a floating ground in a vehicle there has to be a SERIOUS malfunction somewhere... and the TIPM system will shut the whole truck down if that was the case.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rought
I never let my compressor go long periods of time without being used. In the winter, I make sure to turn it on and run my A/c for a few minutes at least twice a week. The Freon has oil mixed with it and the seals need to be lubricated so they don’t fail. I have never had a compressor go out or leak in 25 years.
The compressor kicks on in the winter when the defroster is in use. Automobile manufacturers incorporated that feature years ago to combat the problem of A/C system seals drying out when not in use for part of the year.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

So... does that mean possibly a ground strap is missing or something?

Quick Reply: Dodge AC Compressors - Why are they failing