3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oxygen Sensor Wire Harness Burnt

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 12:47 PM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oxygen Sensor Wire Harness Burnt

I was driving the truck last weekend and the check engine light came on. The code is P0037 be the check engine light cleared before I got back home from a camping trip. I thought it would be the sensor so I bought one but I got under the truck today and I notice the wire harness burnt just up from the connector for the bank 1 rear sensor. How is this wire harness supposed to be tied up to keep from touching the exhaust? The dealership replaced my transmission about 2 months. There is nothing keeping this cable from contacting the exhaust. Is this wiring normally attached to the transmission. I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:36 PM
TRO14
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen when I pulled my transmission to swap converters. There was some wiring attached to the transmission and when I reinstalled the trans I forgot to reattach it. Luckily I noticed it before any wires got burnt. Sounds like your dealerdealer forgot to reattach the wires. I would see if you can get them to pay for the repair.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:20 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Either splice the wire and use heat shrink or use quality electrical tape and zip tie it out of the way

Old 08-23-2013, 07:49 PM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it exposed the inner wire but it did melt the plastic and the insulation around the set of 4 wires. For now I taped the wire and hanging it away from the exhaust. When I first got if back I notice a vent hose hanging down from the truck. He did not bother to zip-tie the transfer case vent hose. Not sure how it was originally attached but I am guessing a plastic clip to the transfer case.

Quick Reply: Oxygen Sensor Wire Harness Burnt