3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Computer or transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 08:55 PM
str8fromtexas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer or transmission?

I have a 06 dodge ram v8 4.7...The issues that im having with the car is that first when starting up the car every gear light(P R N D 2 3) lights up. when putting the car in reverse reverse or drive it give a hard jerk either forwards or backwards... When I put it in drive it takes a couple seconds for the car to actually start to move and when flooring it it does not pick up speed.. When I finally pick up speed sometimes it stays in first gear(or it feels like it).. The rpm gauge goes in between 3 and 4 and never shifts back down.. When the truck actually shifts when it down shifts the car jerks.. then finally I the check engine light came on. I took the car to auto zone and when they did a diagnostic it said I had transmission problems... I then took the vehicle to a transmission shop and had them diagnose it and they said it gave them every code that it could give pertaining to the transmission, which led them to think that I had a bad computer they told me they could find out for sure if I paid another 200.00 for them to research further, but since they made the mistake on letting me know most likely what it was I want to research further b4 I hand over that cash that can go to a new tcm if needed... Ive reset the computer multiple times and it fixes the problem for a day or so, but then it starts acting up again...

Last edited by str8fromtexas; 09-28-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:06 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It's OK to let AutoZone check your codes for you, but don't let it go past that. They want to sell you parts. That's the catch. If those parts don't fix it, then you have no recourse.

Post up the codes that were in there and someone might be able to help you. One sign you DO have is the PRNDL. That is usually a sign that the TCM did not see the range switch after a reset. It may be as simple as a TCM relay.

Quick Reply: Computer or transmission?