3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lifetime Warranty Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 12:14 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Good to hear you passed with no problems. I hate inspection time...

Old 01-26-2014, 12:15 PM
08Hemi4K
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Niceee. Damn, you drive a lot! A bit more than my 15kmi..lol
That's why I bought the warranty. Up til last spring, I drove it for work. In '08 & '09 I was driving a hair over 200 miles a day. Glad I'm not doing that anymore.

Last edited by 08Hemi4K; 01-26-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:19 AM
clarkster2007

So here's my story regarding the warranty. I have a 2007 Power Wagon that I purchased in Jan, 2008. A big selling point was the salesman stated there was a lifetime powertrain warranty. As you see from all the other posts, its hard to believe! As time passed, the dealership saw the truck for oil changes, a recall etc.
So Oct. 2013, it wont shift into 4X4. I take it to the dealer after a failed desert trip with no 4X4 capability. I ask about the warranty. The service guy says there's no such warranty, never has been, no manufacturer would offer such a warranty. He then tells me that the 3 year, 36k warranty is expired so the cost is on me. At this point I figure that the salesman scammed me and made up the warranty to get me to buy the truck. So I pay over $1200.
Last summer, my wife and I purchase her a new Dodge from the same dealership since I love my truck so much.
Last week, my rear lock light starts flashing after driving 10 miles. So I go to the handy Ram forums trying to discover if this is a common issue. Turns out I'm not the only one who is experiencing this. But then, I see that numerous people are saying OMG thank goodness for the lifetime powertrain warranty. I then find a copy of it on the forum. Now I realize it does really exist and the service department at the dealership is the problem. I print the warranty and take it to the service department. Once again, I'm told there's no such thing. I show him the warranty, he doesn't believe it and goes to the service manager. He comes back saying oh yeah there is a warranty but yours is voided because you didn't have the free inspection done. That will be $1300 please. So I ask how I was notified and am told that Dodge Corporate would have notified me to have the inspection done. So I explain I never got a notice and he says its not their problem.
This morning I contact Dodge dispute resolution. I explain to very polite guy everything previously stated and say that I wouldn't knowingly throw away a lifetime warranty because I chose not to get a free inspection done. I explain that I also have moved since I bought the truck. He calls the dealership and confirms that they don't have a clue about the warranty but tells me that if Dodge will reinstate the warranty, they will honor it and refund me etc. He gives me a case # and says he will forward it to a supervisor for review.
I get home from work and have a message from Dodge dispute resolution center. I talk to another employee on callback and am told too bad, the dealership sent me mailed notifications and I didn't act so I have no warranty. I explain that the dealership just told me they don't know about the warranty and claimed that Dodge Corp would have sent any mailers. I also explain that her co-worker confirmed this with the dealership this morning. I ask to speak to her supervisor and she said she would message one to call me in the next couple of days but it wouldn't matter because a supervisor already made the decision not to honor it. She said she has proof I received the mailers and I asked "oh, are they return receipted?" She said no but since the dealership said they mailed them on certain dates, that is the proof. So it comes down to the following:
1. The "proof" that I received the mailer comes from a dealership that doesn't know about the warranty.
2. The "proof" was mailed to me by a dealership that says they don't mail the mailers, Dodge Corp does.
3. The Dodge dispute center says corporate doesn't mail them the dealership does. Then changes the statement later and says both corporate and the dealership does.
4. The unknown supervisor at the dispute center, sitting in a cubical who apparently has the authority to say "yes" or "no" but when he flipped the coin, it landed on tails so I loose.
I don't think I will be buying my daughter that Dodge Dart this summer.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:27 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Ask them for their "Delivery confirmation" of the mailer. They dont have one.
Ultimately it is up to you to have the inspection done.sadly.
It's like making a credit card payment. The creditor assumes you will go to them to make payment even if you never received the monthly bill. Don't get bill, don't pay on time, you still pay late fee!

You would have had to have the inspection done no later than March 2013.

Last edited by dirtydog; 04-22-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:28 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've read about this on several Jeep forums and, sadly, no one has yet to win in this against Chrysler. Apparently there is a form you sign acknowledging the warranty when you buy the vehicle. No signature, no warranty. Signature, you acknowledged the requirements to keep the warranty valid... which include the periodic inspections. It's all left on the owner. Good luck if you fight it, but I haven't seen any positive results come from it.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:08 AM
clarkster2007

yeah I don't even remember if I did or didn't sign something. Was a while back now.

Quick Reply: Lifetime Warranty Inspection