3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacement of Parking Brake Shoes on 2003 Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:29 AM
Buggsy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HotRodRam2003
Wow Buggsy, you got a deal!
I've had several repairs done at my local shop including radiator replacement, shocks, rack & pinion assembly… and I trust them. Can't believe $100 total? The synthetic gear lube as $14/quart, takes 3 quarts + another $15 for the posi additive… I need to have my repairs done at your shop!
Have you had any issues with your steering (rack & pinion)?
Not a cheap repair either!
Sorry, I do remember paying for the fluid now. My guy is good and fair. He sticks to quotes for the labor part even if it ends up being a longer job. The labor was $95, and I think I paid $36 or $39 for the gear lube. No additive though, I have an open diff. I think I ended up paying a total of around $400 for all the parts but I had already bought them when I was doing the job myself. I couldn't compress a caliper, so I just did new calipers, rotors, pads, and shoes.
Now my rack and pinion has always been a little "wet" with oil, but just the other day I actually had a small puddle from it. It's way to dirty to know where it is coming from, so I have to degrease it all and figure that out. It might actually be the reservoir. But at least on my 1500, it looks easy to replace.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:57 AM
HotRodRam2003
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I had both the rack & pinion and the power steering pump/reservoir replaced… while bleeding the rack & pinion the seal gave out on the pump, so grand total with new rack & re-man pump was close to $800. That was total cost, parts & labor at my local repair shop, you probably can do yourself, but it's vital you bleed the rack, takes an hour or more, very tedious… you might be lucky, your leak might be a hose connection.
Clue to if you rack & pinion has gone bad, when at a stop or less than 5mph, steering is almost impossible, need both hands to turn the wheel.

Quick Reply: Replacement of Parking Brake Shoes on 2003 Ram 1500