3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil on waterpump bolt

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 03:02 PM
hillbilli
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil on waterpump bolt

Changed out the water pump on the father-in-laws 2004 4.7l 1500. Pretty easy process other than where still trying to get the fan off of the old water pump, But i saw something peculiar when we took off the old pump. When we took out the top left (as your looking at the truck) we noticed that the long was covered on oil from about where the waterpump meets the block to about the last 1/4-1/2 inch of threading where it screwed into the block. Is that normal from it just going through the timing cover housing or is there something else that i should be worried about. Not very familiar with the 4.7, always had the Hemi's and Cummins.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:13 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

It might be normal. Im not familiar with the 4.7 but I had to change the water pump on my wifes Grand Prix GT and it was the same. After doing some reading i found the that the bolts, threads, go through and into the block and you have to use thread sealant on the the bolts before going in so they do not leak

Quick Reply: Oil on waterpump bolt