3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Inlet Pipe For Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 10:56 AM
devilfish95
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inlet Pipe For Water Pump

I have a 2006 dodge ram 1500 and just yesterday the inlet pipe for the water pump started to leak. It is rusted and it has a hole in it. I have a new pipe and was wondering how much trouble it is to replace it myself. Does the pipe come off by itself or do I have to remove the water pump also.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:14 AM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's rusted, it's probably on there pretty tight. It'll be easier to work with while it's off.

SJ03

Old 10-01-2014, 11:46 AM
cd36c
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that pipe leak on me as well, and I figured while I was in there I would replace the water pump at the same time (plus no one had just the pipe locally). You probably could replace it without removing the water pump, it is just held in with 1 bolt I believe, and then where it goes into the water pump it is just pushed in with a O-Ring on it.

If you end up having to take the water pump out to replace it, then I would just replace the water pump completely (a new water pump will include that pipe, if it is the one I am thinking of, a picture would help). Water pumps aren't overly expensive, but are time consuming to remove and you have to replace alot of coolant. Trust me, if you have it apart to change that pipe and you don't change the water pump, you'll be kicking yourself if the water pump goes in a few months.

Quick Reply: Inlet Pipe For Water Pump