3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

metal in transfer dase/transmission..........

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 01:28 AM
Piperonthetrail
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default metal in transfer dase/transmission..........

Hi guys! I bought a used 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 last summer with 247,000 miles in it. It has a 5.9L Cummins engine on it and ran great so I didn't see any reason not to buy it. I took the truck to a certified mech today to change the transmission oil/filter and adjust the bands. He told me that the bands were adjusted at the point of no more adjustments could be made. He also told me that there was metal, like metallic paint flakes in the tranny pan. I changed out the transfer case yesterday and saw the same metallic appearance in the oil. So my question is this....is this normal wear? What about the band adjustments...? I just wonder if I am worrying about nothing, but normal wear, or if there is a problem looming in the near future .........anyone had the same issues as I am having ???

Old 01-24-2015, 08:58 AM
p38251
Record Breaker

Not sure about the band adjustment. Chunks bad. A little metallic is normal, as the plates move against each other they wear a little each time.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:25 AM
chuck_hammer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

being engines and transmissions are only designed to go 100,000 miles...????

your truck has lived 2 life times... my opinion.

30 years ago.. very few cars/truck made it past 120,000 miles. again my opinion.

most transmission filters are not dirt catchers.. they are bit catchers.. unlike motor oil filters.
the first time an engine is started.. it is starting to wear out.... so metal specks are common and expected. engine or transmission.

and for the transmission. most require an oil and filter change every 50,000 miles.. do you know if yours had 4 or 5 changes?????

Last edited by chuck_hammer; 01-24-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:08 AM
Piperonthetrail

chuck hammer, I don't have a clue how well this vehicle was maintained. What got my attention was after hunting season, ( a lot of 4 wheel driving up steep hills ans such), I wanted to add some Militec to my differentials, transfer case, etc. I noticed that the front differential took a full quart of fluid, the back took 1/2 quart. So I thought I had better get the transmission/cooling system flushed and changed, as well as the transfer case, which I did myself. I couldn't believe that the levels were as low as they were....so I really don't know when/if these fluids were changed. I will be changing ALL these fluids on a regular maintenance schedule from now on.

Quick Reply: metal in transfer dase/transmission..........