3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad Lower Control Arm Bushing...how long?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:27 PM
Destructo80
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad Lower Control Arm Bushing...how long?

2003 Ram 1500 4x4 with 20 inch wheels.

I have a bad/torn LCA bushing and it is beginning to clunk pretty loud when wheels are at full crank especially when backing out of driveway. Truck has had both cv axles, tie rods, ball joints, and hub bearings replaced in the last year or so at the cost of parts only by reading this forum. You guys are truly great!

Anyway, I feel like the LCA bushings are a little out of my league, and the local shop wants $1000+ (mostly labor and including alignment and replace a bad rack and pinion that is leaking). How long can I drive on a bad LCA bushing before it becomes a safety issue? I know you guys don't have a crystal ball, but what would be your best guess? I would like to trade later this year if it can make it without that repair...

Old 04-29-2015, 03:31 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't help at all about how long you should drive with your LCA's like that. That's just asking for trouble.
However, if you have replaced both cv axles, tie rods, ball joints, and hub bearings etc etc, buy your LCA's from RockAuto and fit them yourself.
Pretty straight forward and then take it for an alignment.
Save yourself lots of money.
As for the rack.....that's also straight forward. However I have read many people having issues with racks other than OEM which are pricey, but I've never read of anyone having issues with them. Unlike the remanufactured Pep boys/Autozone/RockAuto badged ones.
Hope this helps?
Al.

Quick Reply: Bad Lower Control Arm Bushing...how long?