3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Burnt Coils

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 11:19 AM
panteranegra
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burnt Coils

Ram 1500 5.7 HEMI 4X2
138000 miles I bought this truck new.

I have not had really major problems except the problem below this happened with out any warning.

I have had 2 coils burnt out in 6 months,after replacing the first one I couldn't get rid of the service engine code and now that I replaced the second one I have 2 service engine error codes that I can't erase Codes P2320 and P2305

I replace the coils and also the spark plug for the coil being repalce.

I have a code reader Actron CP9185 and try resetting them and the reader shows codes are deleted but after starting the truck the error codes come back
I try disconnecting the batter cables too, that didn't help either.
The truck seems to be running ok but so it was before the second coil burned out(I was stopped in traffic light then smoke started coming out form under the hood no warning that I can tell)

any ideas?

Thank you

Last edited by panteranegra; 06-09-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:19 PM
chuck_hammer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

computer supplies the power to the coil. computer may have burned out that coil output.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:14 AM
panteranegra
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burnt coils

I didn't specify that it has been two different coils that got burned, also the truck seems to be working fine but I'm concern that it may get on fire while driving specially now that it is si hit al=t lear here in Texas

Thank you for the replay

Originally Posted by chuck_hammer
computer supplies the power to the coil. computer may have burned out that coil output.

Quick Reply: Burnt Coils