3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP ! Which engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 09:25 PM
edspring1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP ! Which engine ?

Hey Folks,
I hate to sound like a dumba$$ but until 3 months ago I was strictly a car/gas guy. That's when I bought my Ram 2500 5.9 CTS.
I have had nothing but problems getting aftermarket parts. Mainly because of MY lack of info/knowledge on my own truck. Makes me feel like a absolute fool...lol
I am waiting on a build sheet, but until it gets here can someone with hands on KNOWLEDGE tell me exactly which engine I have ?
I have read about every thread on the web but everyone seems to have their own ideas as to what was OEM between the 2004 & 2004.5 mdls.
The mfg. date is 03-04, 5.9 CTS, 24 valve, this truck is without a doubt 100% stock. With exception to it has a muffler delete pipe, but it does have a really BIG cat. converter. But then again I have read that the 2004.5 didn't come with a muffler, just the cat. Doesn't sound right to me, but what do I know...lol
The exhaust is 4" right out of the turbo to the very end, and a 48R trans.
There is NO sticker or tag on the valve cover, and I can't find one on the front of the engine block either. I have read that there should be a HP rating label/sticker in one of those places but there isn't.
I am trying to find out if it is a 2004 or a 2004.5. I thought the fact it is 24V may have been of help, but it doesn't seem so.
It seems the programmers offered are split in those yrs.
Lift pumps are different.
Injectors {type 5 hole etc}, pumps and who knows what else is different as well from what I have read. I would also like to know which pump it has ? The Bosch or VP44 ? I understand the Bosch is better and has better injectors ? It surely has the HOL???? turbo. It does have the lift pump on the back of the filter on the driver side if that's of any help. I have also read that at some point Dodge changed and put them in the tank.
I would love to do some upgrades to this truck. But I want to spend my hard earned money in the right place. Is the Bosch good enough to leave alone ? What about that external lift pump ? The truck has 130K on it. All that I have read tells me to change the lift pump, and like I mentioned I would like to put a Edge Juice w/Attitude on it. Mainly for towing and economy. I do NOT want to race this truck. I already have a race car to beat into submission....lol
I could really use the help folks. Thanks in advance !
BTW its the horse power and torque that I am mainly interested in. I was told over the phone by some dealership parts kid that according o my VIN it was a HO engine, but this is the same kid that said it was a 1500 and NOT a 2500 which it surely is.
Ed

Last edited by edspring1; 11-19-2015 at 09:30 PM. Reason: add info
Old 11-24-2015, 02:25 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Build sheet:
http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/
Go to the left and click on 'equipment listing', then enter VIN. You will get an instant .pdf build sheet.
Have you tried looking in the glove box for the option list or on the door/door jamb for the build date?

Old 11-24-2015, 10:24 PM
edspring1

Hey Thanks Lonestar !
I did what you recommended and printed out the build sheet. That alone is a big help !
What it says is that in deed I do have the 5.9 H O 600, 11.5 ring gear, 48 trans., lock up converter, aux. trans cooler, etc.
But it still doesn't stipulate if it is a 2004 or what is being called a 2004.5. Build date is 03-04. It is titled as a 2004, but I don't think it could be titled any differently {2004.5}
A few things it does NOT list is, which lift pump which injectors, Bosch ?
Are Bosch better/worse than whatever else was used ? The lift pump is mounted as my original post [above] suggests. I assume it is OEM and never had one installed in the tank. Any pointers offered is greatly appreciated. I don't want to do anything that is going to require larger injectors, a higher flow fuel pump, larger lines etc.
Like I mentioned on my original posting, I want to install a Edge Juice with attitude.
Mainly for economy, towing and the capability of monitoring the essentials.
I do not want to hot rod this truck.
I have read about folks that have, and then they need transmissions etc. I understand the programmer allows the OEM computer to over power the trans., etc.
I guess my main concern is the lift pump at this point.
130K on the engine and I have read that they can go out at anytime.
Can anyone recommend to me with certainty whats worth the money ?
I'd like to get something with a water separator, and better fuel filter {spin on}.
Do I really need one ? Is what I have been reading just hype ?
Thanks in advance !
Ed

Old 11-25-2015, 01:24 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Go with an external lift pump. FASS or Airdog. On of the filters is a water separator. I run the FASS 150. Due the pump before the tuner. Unless you have a CP injector pump. The VP injector pump will burn up, die to lack of fuel. Hit Jigabob up. He's a good person to talk with on upgrades.

Quick Reply: HELP ! Which engine ?