3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 headlight issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 12:21 PM
munchie44
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 headlight issues

I know this is a well worn topic and I have read numerous threads both in this forum and others about problems with headlights not working. I recently purchased a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 with a 5.9L Diesel engine. The headlights, both high and low beam, have worked/not worked at different intervals and configurations. After reading numerous threads that pointed back to the TIPM, I broke down and replaced it with a Dorman rebuilt TIPM. It did fix some electrical issues (mirrors now adjust and back up lights come on) but I still cant get the drivers side low beam, both high beams and the hazard flashers to come on. Admittedly, I haven't started doing point to point checks on wiring harnesses. But it seems to me like it is more of a control issue than a wiring issue.

any troubleshooting advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:41 PM
kimzilla
Amateur

Try headlamp relay...see where the relay is in the manual that came with your vehicle then go to the fuse box where it says its located box.. and there are videos on YouTube people have posted on how to check this out...type in vehicle year make and model...also could be switch for headlamps and fuses

Last edited by kimzilla; 06-23-2016 at 04:44 PM. Reason: for got a important word
Old 06-23-2016, 06:27 PM
munchie44

my model has the TIPM and there are no relays. its all controlled by a $500 circuit board.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:28 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the high beam indicator on the dash come on?
Do the turn signals work, but not the hazard flasher?

Old 06-24-2016, 02:09 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain

Admittedly, I haven't started doing point to point checks on wiring harnesses.

Time to get out the meter and test light. We need to check the wiring from the new TIPM to both headlights. Let's check voltage first, 'cause if we have voltage at the lights, the wires and the TIPM are good.
Find a good ground at the headlights (BTW, make sure both headlights have a good ground). Here's the wiring from the TIPM: (just the ones that don't work)
With the headlight switch in the appropriate position, check for 12 volts at the headlight.

Left Low Beam=TIPM Connector C5 pin 4 on a WHITE/DARK BLUE wire

Left High Beam=TIPM Connector C7 pin 4 on a WHITE/LIGHT GREEN wire

Right High Beam=TIPM Connector C5 pin 3 on a WHITE/GRAY wire

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 06-24-2016 at 02:14 AM.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:24 PM
munchie44

some success this weekend, but still no high beams.

I found a broken wire at the connector for the left front headlight. I replaced the connector and now have a low beam on that side. both low beams now work.

studying the wiring diagrams, I thought maybe the multifunction switch was faulty, so I replaced it and now have working flashers (along with all the other devices the multifunction switch controls - washer, wipers, turn signals, etc) but still no high beams.

when I turn the high beams on, the blue light on the dash comes on but have 0 volts on both the left and right pins at the headlights. studying the wiring diagrams, it looks like the multifunction switch goes to the instrument cluster. since all the other devices work, I believe this wiring is ok. likewise, the instrument cluster communicates with the TIPM on a 2 wire bus. I believe this is ok since all the other devices (turn signals, wipers, etc) work.

Which takes me back to the TIPM. I read elsewhere that sometimes the TIPM will latch up if it detects a fault. I don't have a code reader so I don't know if any faults are in the computer but I do not have any messages or check engine light on the dash console. The Dodge dealership wants $160 to reset the TIPM. Since I don't know that is what the problem is, I hate to spend the money and it not fix the problem (not to mention $160 seems just a tad excessive).

So I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

Old 07-03-2016, 05:23 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Lightbulb

Have you tried the "key dance" to get any codes?
Don't start, but turn the key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON in ~5 seconds and watch the odometer. If there are stored codes, they will display in the odometer as for example, P0123, P0456, etc. When they've all displayed, it will say Pdone.

Have you disconnected the battery to reset everything?

Parts stores will read the codes for you for free.

This may seem unnecessary, but can you unplug the headlights and check for 12 volts on the plugs or at the connectors on the TIPM? Heaven forbid that something damaged the wires or there might be (unlikely) a problem in the headlights.
Before I bought a TIPM, I'd make sure there is continuity on those 2 wires for high beams.

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 07-03-2016 at 06:04 PM.

Quick Reply: 2006 headlight issues