3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changed the Crankshaft Position Sensor (5.9L) today

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 01:47 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed the Crankshaft Position Sensor (5.9L) today

I had a crank no start issue I knew was because of bad fuel. Searching last night I came across the CPS issue.. and remembering issues I was having with the truck sputtering at points, having an issue loosing RPM in cruise while towing was weird.. and this may do nothing for that, but could actually have something to do with it.. we shall see.

The CPS was actually probably the most accessible I have even heard of.. most others are buried under brackets and shrouds that have engine accessories It wasn't that bad, there was enough room to get to it, but it was at an awkward angle and I did get my arm stuck between the intake and the firewall and literally had to rip my arm out of the space.. which did not feel well.. but I didn't want to

1. take the intake off..
2. did NOT want to come at it from the top at all... I wanted to come from the bottom to do it. I did have to fish the sensor up the back of the firewall over the back side of the engine to get the sensor connector unplugged. And reverse to get it back in.

I added higher octane gas to the bad fuel I had in the the tank, I also added some additives to the gas to help with the water? that was in it and to clean the filter/injectors from any crude that may have been attributed to the bad fuel.

I actually took video of it and am starting an edit for the video. Once I get done I will post a link in this thread.

What is needed:

* 1/2" or 13mm 1/4" socket for (2) bolts. There are "provisions?" for torx bits on the head of the bolts.. I did not use T-bits.

* 1/4" (hopefully you have fine tooth or ultra fine tooth) ratchet.

* flat head screwdriver.

* De-electric grease.

Update will happen once I get the video completed.

Attached Thumbnails Changed the Crankshaft Position Sensor (5.9L) today-20170121_144748.jpg   Changed the Crankshaft Position Sensor (5.9L) today-20170121_141237.jpg