3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rough idle, up and down after removing throttle body for cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 08:19 AM
camperdan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough idle, up and down after removing throttle body for cleaning

04 dodge ram 1500 5.7 hemi. drove 40 miles after and idle started going crazy and shut off on me. restarted and drove 10 miles more and the same issue happened. thoughts?

Old 03-19-2017, 09:27 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

sounds like an issue with the idle air control valve. If my memory is right its integral to the throttle body and is not serviceable. Check the electrical connections and vacuum lines you disturbed when doing the TB cleaning. If you really soaked the TB with cleaner it may caused damage

Old 03-19-2017, 05:02 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you disconnect the negative terminal on the battery? If not, try doing so and let the computer reset itself. It might not be the answer in the end, but it's the quickest and easiest troubleshoot that I can think of for this one before throwing any money at it.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:37 PM
camperdan

Originally Posted by Chet Ubetcha
Did you disconnect the negative terminal on the battery? If not, try doing so and let the computer reset itself. It might not be the answer in the end, but it's the quickest and easiest troubleshoot that I can think of for this one before throwing any money at it.
thanks, I will try it.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:47 PM
camperdan

Originally Posted by TrueDogman
sounds like an issue with the idle air control valve. If my memory is right its integral to the throttle body and is not serviceable. Check the electrical connections and vacuum lines you disturbed when doing the TB cleaning. If you really soaked the TB with cleaner it may caused damage
never thought about the vacuum lines. With all the miles it has, I am sure they need replacing.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:40 AM
MBMADNESS

Originally Posted by TrueDogman
I sure hope nothing is dasmaged since I paid dodge to clean the throttle body .

Quick Reply: rough idle, up and down after removing throttle body for cleaning