3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 ram 5.7 running rough at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 01:10 AM
Phock
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 ram 5.7 running rough at low speeds

quick question concerning my 2004 dodge ram
5.7 hemi... Truck has been running really rough at low speeds! Particularly driving through town around 30-40 mph truck rpms go up and down. Truck acts like it's going to stall if I don't speed up or take my foot off gas. Actually had the truck completely shut off on me the other day, which was very scary! Lost power steering and brakes. Egr code is on dash. Wanted to make sure this is the issue before ordering new egr valve .. did a lot of research pertaining to the egr valve just wanted to be 100% or as close to it as possible.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:10 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

EGR will cause these symptoms. When was is last tune up? Have you tried cleaning the throttle body?

Old 03-26-2017, 05:34 PM
Phock
Default Update

So.. watched some YouTube videos about replacing the egr valve went ahead and competed the project in about an hr. I'm a real noob when it comes to auto stuff. The truck runs perfect now!!! Truck went from surging and shutting off at low speeds to running great. Really excited about the success I had!! NOW.. I have another question about the coolant bottle. It's completely empty! I've never done a flush and won't have time till my next rotation of days off.. I bought a bottle zerex g-05 ..I have to mix 50/50 with water .. can I add just add some to the bottle to hold the truck over till my next rotation off ?