3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Installing factory uconnect

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 10:06 AM
kpj5br
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Installing factory uconnect

So Ace, did you get everything back and install it? All good?

I'm in the same boat as you. I've looked through the entire LX post, the pdf, etc. For the LX series vehicles it really doesn't look bad. Plus, I really want this added to my truck.

(I also sent an email to Ted FYI).

Thanks

Old 02-04-2007, 02:12 PM
AcemanMCT

Hi Jon,

No, not yet. He received my mirror harness Fri morning (2/2/07). When I talked to him in the afternoon he was working on the harness. keep in mind he is splicing/combining the Jet Harness to the factory mirror harness. After that it will be plug and play. Plug in the mirror, run the new combined harness down the A pillar, mount the Telematic unit under the dash to the right of the column (you can actually put it anywhere you feel like it), plug in the radio, and you're done!

I would suggest to call him directly to get your questions answered. I know he'll respond by email, but I'll tell you, Ted is really informative about factory harnesses, not just for this thing. I know eventually once this gets to a certain popularity level and more people are aware of it, he will be swamped with phone calls.

Let me know how you make out.

Ace

FYI: My vehicles are:

2066 Power Wagon <----- ( LOL! I meant that. You should see the antigrav hover systemon this thing!)
(UConnect addition is for this one)
Quad Cab
Black Pearl
5.7 Hemi
GPS Nav Radio
Sirius Satellite
Dual cats with 2-in 1-out muffler (two cats - nice! - Makes it easier for true dual exhaust)
Cloth seats - added 3rd party crappy heaters.

2006 Ram SRT-10 Reg Cab
Black Pearl
8.3L V10 500HP
6 Speed
FAST!
Built in UConnect
GPS/Nav/Sirius 500 Watt Infitinity Radio with subwoofer
Suede heated seats.
All kinds of goodies.

====================================
Off topic about the 3rd party heated seats I had added to the Power Wagon:
I made a HUGE mistake with the heated seats. They turn on and stay on. Ignition off, they are off, but ignition on, they are on again. That sux. They should stay off when you start the car, just like the factory. ones. Now I need to change them to the better ones where they have auto-off and turn off and stay off with the ignition off.

I got them put in by LeeChetty of Chetty's Auto Tops in Eagle, PA. He charged me 477.00 total to put them in. I asked him if they had auto off and he said yes, they turn off with the ignition. I guess I thought hemeant they stayed off and when you start the car again, youhave to manually hit the button to trun them on again.

After they were installed I didn't think about it until I turned off the car, came back got in, started it up and wondered why my seats were getting hot. I found another guy who would put the better Scott Seats in with a switchedrelay and auto-off and 3 settins (Hi-Med-Lo) for less. I turned him down thinking because Chetty was asking for more, that his were better. WTF. Rip off Chetty I call him now. He couldn't even mount the switches on the dash. He didn't know how to take apart the dash. Obviously I'm pissed about it now, but what can I do now. It's my fault for not asking the right questions, I guess. Apparently he used a universal cheapo kit, not like the Scott seats customized heaters. Oh well... my fault.
====================================

Ace

Old 02-10-2007, 02:50 AM
AcemanMCT

I finally got it in today. This thing is sweet. I recommend it over any non-factory add-on. Just call Ted and he'll help you in getting this thing started.

:-)

Ace

(See comment in my previouspost with the wrong date for my truck...)

Old 02-10-2007, 04:23 AM
kpj5br
Rookie

Aceman, thanks, I need a vote of confidence. Ted emailed me last week that he "wanted more time to test" before saying "good to go" on the kit (harness mainly I would guess) for the Ram.

I also got another email from another guy there a couple days later that said they were "very close".

Did you have a tough time with the install?

My truck has the rain-sensing wipers, not sure if that makes a difference or not, I would suspect not.

I really want it bad, right now I use the old Motorola bluetooth "plug in the ear" thing and it drives me crazy, and work forces me to talk while driving a lot, so this will be a lifesaver for me.

Thanks!

Old 02-10-2007, 03:02 PM
AcemanMCT

Jon,

I think Ted was waiting on my results... He's also looking to mass produce the harness for any scenario and any DC vehicle.

The installation went smooth as silk. It actually took longer to get the front of the headliner down, the pillar and the radio out then it did to plug the wires in. As soon as they were plugged in, weturned the ignition to the on position and hit the button, and wouldn't you know it, it said, "Ready." Sweet! Ted was the first one I called. The Dodge tech had the StarScan with him and plugged in. We couldn't figure out how to add the unit, and I forgot to print up the instructions for the StarScan steps that I found at some site (darn, I can't remember now where I got it from). Ted walked the tech thru it. It was actually working before 'adding' it to the EVIC, so it really doesn't matter, but I like to button things up, so to speak.

Hang in there for Ted. Like I said, he was probably using mine as a test to see if it willa ctually work for any vehicle and not just the LX based vehicles. You'll be glad you did!

Ace

After I posted, I found the instructions. Here you go...
http://www.moparsupercenter.com/bb/u...structions.pdf

[IMG]local://upfiles/54948/D7E609BD23634EA0871A1EBAB9A19D94.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Rgory
Rookie

Ace,

This may seem like a dumb question but do the 06 Rams/Power Wagons come with an EVIC. And if so does it work with the U-connect. As I understood it the lcd screen to the right on the dash is the Odometer/drive selector. And then to the left I have just a blank black space where the odometer use to be? Is this where the evic is... or we just dont have it like I originally thought.

P.S. I think Model A ford also did an install on his Ram earlier this year and he used ted's parts as well. I am awaiting for some of my pieces to arrive that I bought off of e-bay and then I will be doing the install shortly.

Ryan

Old 02-10-2007, 09:41 PM
AcemanMCT

Ryan,

I was so excited to get it working, that I actually I didn't take notice, so I'm not sure. I'll have to check my dash. I'll get back to you on that.

Did Model A do his own splicing on the harness?

btw- About your pic - is that a Power Wagon?

Ace

Ace

Old 02-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Rgory
Rookie

Yes ACE it does happen to be a Power Wagon. I really wanted to play a little and there isnt all too many off roading possibilities around Chicago, so I made one lol. The greatest part was that my co-worker with a 2500 diesel couldnt make it up the pile, the PW just eased on up with out a problem.

Going back it seems ModelA did make his own harness. I have spent many a hours researching all this and hope it goes smooth. I already bought the mirror harness from my local dealer and then got a fantastic deal on U-connect pieces that were factory in a ram and a guy took it out for an aftermarket system? I dont really know, the module number has a different suffix but I am hoping that it shouldnt matter too much.

I am going to get ahold of Ted to get the lx harness, and then I am hoping to just use the factory 12 pin grey connector and slip the lx harness wires and clearance light wires into that to make it look fairly original in nature. It may take me a little time get all of the pieces gathered together but it should be a fairly easy install.

Thanks,

Ryan

Old 02-11-2007, 08:42 PM
AcemanMCT

Tough to beat the PW when it comes to climbing, especially with the electric lockers! :-)

I forgot to check my PW for the EVIC. Sorry...

What UConnect pieces did you get from eBay? There are only four components: the radio, mirror, Telematic and mirror wiring harness. If the mirror harness won't plug into your harness,which I'm betting that's your case, then you need the LX Harness. Ted will mate YOUR mirror harness to the LX Harness with a jumper at thje other end that youplug the vehicle plug that normally goes behind the radio into the LX harness, then the other plug from the LX Harness into the radio. That's it. Plug and play, that is as long as Ted splices it. Otherwise you will be splicing wires.

Ask Ted about the suffix on the Telematic unit. He can let you know if it's the right one or not. Remember, he's the parts manager at that place.

Ace

Old 02-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Rgory
Rookie

Ace,

Yeah I got a Nav unit, the mirror, the telematics module, mirror wiring harness and a whole bunch of misc pieces like a factory infinity amp and another unidentified module. It all came out of an 06 Ram so I know it is good to go. I have been all over this U-connect since I picked up my Power Wagon in October. I was fortuate enough to get a factory instrument side plug for the A-pillar. So I am going to order the jet harness, slip those wires into the factory plug and then move my clearance lamp wires over to this new plug and it will all be factory. viola. Lol I will get ahold of Ted tomorrow though to make sure I can get the regular LX harness. I also will have to ask him about the suffix, and whether or not the VES wiring is included with the purchase of a headliner or not.

On a side note, the parts people at my local dealership drive me nuts. I stopped in there friday because I knew my Nav would be coming on tuesday and I wanted to be sure to have the bezel so I could pop it in and play right away. So on my lunch break I swing over there and the guy tells me that he needs my vin, well I didnt have my truck so I didnt know. So I figure no big deal, I call when I get home, a new parts guy finds the bezel without my vin in 30 seconds but tells me that I have to come in and pay for it before I order it.... So needless to say I look forward to talking to Ted because he seems like he knows what he is doing and is willing tohelp people out.

Ryan

Quick Reply: Installing factory uconnect