3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Short Spark Plug Wires for Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 12:50 AM
qc4x403laramiehemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Short Spark Plug Wires for Hemi

HankL

your comment about the "cross over wires" and "shorty wires", is one better than the other? are the plug wires better for the shorty than the cross over? i'm currenlyt slit on which way i should go. any info would help. thanks, dan.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:55 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Wow this thread is old...but I have a question about the shorties. Do the coils fire the second plug during the wrong stroke in the adjacent cylinderwith the shorties....since each coil is firing it's own second coil now? From what i've read so far each coil firesthe first plug like normal causing the power stroke and then fires the second plug of the opposite cylinder during the exhaust stroke.

I'm just a little confused...i'm thinking of switching to shorties and don't wanna F anything up or void my powertrain warranty.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:51 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

TTT

Old 12-01-2007, 12:52 PM
LoFlyer
Professional

There isn't any firing on the exhaust stroke, both plugs in the cylinder fireon the power stroke.For instance, I believe cyl 2 and 7 fire at the same time so the #2 cylinder coil fires the #2 cyl plug via the boot and the #7 cylinder plug via a plug wire. With shorties, the #2 coil fires both plugs in the #2 cylinder. Only thing you loose with shorties is a backup in case a coil goes bad. Idid the 60k wire change and stayed with the long wires but went with MSD 8.5mm and love them. Noticeable difference in idle, smoothness and off the line acceleration. It's some work to wire it up though and the larger wires don't fit in the stock wire track. A shortie installis much easier.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:57 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Ohhh..that makes sense, thanks man. Has anyone had issues with any dealerships as far as warranties go?

Old 12-01-2007, 02:28 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a time when they said the second plug fired x number of degrees later than the first. Others have said that design aspect got scrapped during the design and they now fire at the same time.

Was there ever a "final" determination made on this?

Old 12-01-2007, 06:37 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

good question

Old 12-02-2007, 06:16 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is all academic because the FACTORY did away with the design, first on the 6.1, then to the rest of the line. The way I see it, its a form of factory upgrade. If I could afford it right now, I would get the conversion kit for the dual coils.

Quick Reply: Short Spark Plug Wires for Hemi