3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stop The Odometer Must Read!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 07:50 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Stop The Odometer Must Read!!!!!

ORIGINAL: viper359
Where did the Welcome To The Board, Glad you own a Dodge, warm invite go??
The warm invite (especially to posters like omars121) go out the window when their first posts involve illegally modifying vehicles in such a way to defraud. But, since your a first time poster, and not yelling at us, like omars121 did, because we won't tell you how to rip people off, welcome to the forum, andI hope you can find the Dodge you want.
Like motorider228 said, "The only reason to set an odometer back is to cheat someone." There is no other reason someone would want to do this.

I can't tell you how someone would be able to tell if the mileage "was stopped" on their vehicle, short of getting a CarFax (if your buying it from a dealer, they should give you one for free), and maybe asking to see the service record.
But, yea, "stopping" the mileage is a very, very sleeze-bag thing to do. If you were so worried about the mileage you would rack up, you should have addressed that before you signed the lease/contract, or you should have bought the vehicle outright.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:29 AM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe the IOD fuse would stop the odometer.
it will cut power to the cluster, interior lights, radio, and underhood lamp.
I would want to know this if I was 16 years old and didn't have permission to drive the truck at night...

Old 01-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Jetpig
Professional

Buddy of mine figured out how to stop his in his truck. He hit a tree doing about 20. That was all it took. That odometer definitely won't run again!

Old 01-23-2007, 04:54 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

This thread needs to be locked.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:36 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

What about if you tow the vehical behind a RV? I wouldnt but i know some people do. Does that run the odometer? If it does then that would be a reason to turn it off. Also about the toothless deal, the gas engine owners have teeth, but the Cummins owners have GRILLS! lol

Old 01-23-2007, 07:28 PM
dirtydodge02
Banned

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this guys a nimrod

Old 01-23-2007, 07:32 PM
Foiled
Veteran

ORIGINAL: hemi1827

There is actually a way to stop the odometer. My father works for Daimler Chrysler and last time he was in Auburn Hills, MI he was speaking with an engineer who explained to him the process which involves many different combinations of turning the key to certain positions and engaging other switches in the vehicle. Of course he would not tell me, nor do I care to cheat the system. Like some one said before Car Fax was created for guys like that. There are also about 5 different locations on a vehicle where the odometer is stored(different cpu's). But like the odometer stop there are also many different functions on a vehicle that are designed purely for diagnostic use only.

It doesn’t matter if it is recorded in 100 different places. If Dodge does not supply the correct current miles to the user they are bound by what is displayed in the dash. They have to let the owner know the warranty status. The warranty states 3y/36k miles. We do not have a way of checking the miles recorded in the computer.

I do not know where the cluster gets the OD reading from but if Dodge is not reading it from a device designed to hold the correct mileage they need new engineers.

My guess is the digital readout on the cluster is nothing more then a monitor that is displaying the values stored elsewhere in the truck. But the only for sure way to know would be, change the cluster from another truck and see what the OD reads.

But if that is the case why not just pull your cluster at 30k miles and buy a new one and start your mileage over. If I was a betting man I would put my money on the cluster being only a display. Not like the older mechanical OD's.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:10 PM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Hemimadman06

Yea no one drove me off the site. Im sorry if im not a broke a$$ like most of you that have to buy used cars that have been messed with. i buy brand new. mabye one of you will be lucky enough to buy my truck that only has a few miles on the computer. and it is not made up. and for the one whose dad disconnected the ipc is an idiot, you disconnect the wires from the rear diff. i am sorry i was under the impression that this dodge forum was here so people could ask decent questions. but i guess all you jobless toothless 2wd 4.7l ram drivers that cant afford the 5.7's think otherwise. Thanks for the info guys. "madman" ps. It was just a question thank for all being a$$es to a question. and no im not driving gm down the drian im fixing hummers to get them out
I wasn't going to post here this thread. To each his own...

UntilI read this post..

FYI a lot of people on this site have way nicer trucks than yours. I am one of them, and guess what I am only 20 years old. So get off your soap box and shut the **** up. This is not a pissing contest, but I guess the guys over at GM still need to do a little maturing..

Old 01-25-2007, 01:24 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not again...

Old 01-25-2007, 01:34 AM
motorider228
Champion

ORIGINAL: moparkj

ORIGINAL: Hemimadman06

Yea no one drove me off the site. Im sorry if im not a broke a$$ like most of you that have to buy used cars that have been messed with. i buy brand new. mabye one of you will be lucky enough to buy my truck that only has a few miles on the computer. and it is not made up. and for the one whose dad disconnected the ipc is an idiot, you disconnect the wires from the rear diff. i am sorry i was under the impression that this dodge forum was here so people could ask decent questions. but i guess all you jobless toothless 2wd 4.7l ram drivers that cant afford the 5.7's think otherwise. Thanks for the info guys. "madman" ps. It was just a question thank for all being a$$es to a question. and no im not driving gm down the drian im fixing hummers to get them out
I wasn't going to post here this thread. To each his own...

UntilI read this post..

FYI a lot of people on this site have way nicer trucks than yours. I am one of them, and guess what I am only 20 years old. So get off your soap box and shut the **** up. This is not a pissing contest, but I guess the guys over at GM still need to do a little maturing..
yeah true that. I have an 06 hemi SLT and i'm 18. I'm paying for it too, not mommy and daddy.

Quick Reply: Stop The Odometer Must Read!!!!!