4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Lemon

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 10:11 PM
burntblues
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lemon

Folks,

A while back, I was forced to send in the Lemon Notification Form relating to my truck due to a leak that was causing the back of the cab of the truck to fill with water. After that, the dealership did all sorts of testing only to tell me that I couldn't wash my truck (I know, right?). With all the rain we've had here in the south the last few days it appears that the issue isn't a "high pressure water situation" as they told me. I want to renotify Chrysler of the problem but I can't seem to turn up my Lemon Notification stuff. Does anyone have that information that they can post for me? I seem to remember a booklet that had the contact addresses, as well as a form to be mailed in. The internet is surprising blank with this info as is the chrysler website.

Thanks all,
Mike

Old 05-06-2013, 10:50 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that would be a state thing.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:55 PM
burntblues

You're right, it is a State thing. At least what's required prior to the vehicle being determined a lemon. When you get your car though, they provide you with the lemon law notification booklet that lists who must be notified pursuant to Daimler-Chrysler requirements and where you have to mail the notices. In my incredible boneheadedness, I lost those items. I'm looking for a copy of those notifications with the address information so I can send in a "re-demand" letter.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:07 PM
burntblues

For those interested in this information, I found one of my books. If you live in North Carolina you must FIRST send a certified letter to Chrysler by certified mail at:

Chrysler Group LLC
Customer Center
PO Box 21-8004
Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8004

Mike

Old 05-06-2013, 11:24 PM
War Horse
All Star

Best of luck to you.

We did it on a 1997 Chevy Cavalier convertible; it was a pure hell. Of course it didn't help we had 4 states involved: we lived in Washington DC, the dealer we bought from was in Virginia, the original dealer the car was built for was in MI, and the car was titled in NC. It was a paperwork nightmare.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:50 PM
burntblues

Sounds miserable, thanks for the heads up.

Mind giving me an idea of what I'm in store for?

I hope my resolution won't be as difficult as yours. The vehicle, as far as I know, was shipped to it's original dealer in Lake Norman, NC. I bought it there because it was a smoking good deal. It's been maintained, in terms of this problem, at an Asheville, NC dealership.

The main problem is that water is leaking into the rear of the cab. Originally, it was believed to be a rear window gasket. They replaced that over the course of at least 3 individual trips to the dealership. Sometimes I would take the truck in, drop it off, wait all day without a vehicle, only to return and be told they couldn't get to it that day to bring it back next week. Then, it was believed to be the rear brake light gasket which was replaced in one trip. Once, they sent a window repair guy out to my office to RE-set the rear window again. I couldn't drive the truck that entire day. The cab still leaked and I brought it back and sent in my notice of being a lemon. They kept the truck again a total of 3 days if I'm reading my paperwork correctly when they removed the rear interior and high pressure tested everything. They noted during the course of their 4 minute test approximately one to two tablespoons of water came in the cab. They traced it to some rear vents between the bed and the cab and told me to not wash the truck in a high pressure car wash. I actually thought that would be an ok resolution since I don't mind washing my own car. Then the rain began the other week. About a year has passed since the first notification was sent off. Honestly, a little water wouldn't worry me except the truck is going to rot and it is starting to stink inside. I don't think this is acceptable for what a vehicle costs now.

I'm fortunate in that I can read the law. I'm a lawyer by trade who dabbles in some construction on the side, house renovations mostly. When I'm not doing those things, I'm racing or restoring cars. My 72 Nova is water tight and half the door gaskets are rotted out. I don't practice in Lemon Law work, however, so anyone else's experience would be good to hear.

The law in NC is pretty straightforward. If the car is a lemon and they're notified within the warranty period your good to go. A vehicle is presumed to be a lemon if it's been brought to the dealer on 4 or more occasions for the problem to get fixed. Once notified, the manufacturer has 15 days to fix the problem or provide you with your choice of solution - a refund minus the mileage deduction or a new similar vehicle. I'd honestly take either if they can't fix this thing. I'm disgusted because they constantly give me the run around with problems with the truck. The air-conditioner was a problem where I'm apparently too needy and don't understand that given the volume of the cab it won't cool as cold as a car (the high pressure valve turned out to be plugged) and my ram tough truck hit a bump causing the tire to bubble out. Goodyear agreed with me that it was a defective tire and took up the fight with Dodge. Then, I was told that the water leak was just cause it was a truck and it's what I should expect. I don't think so. The rude nature of the service tech in this situation would probably scare most people away, but I'd love to keep this thing. It's such a strong running truck. My only complaint is the horribly small bed (I goofed up and bought the quad cab with the 5'7" bed).

Mike

Quick Reply: Lemon