4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wrong Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 04:57 PM
KeyFOB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrong Key Fob

I have a 2014 RAM 1500 with manual locks, and a manual Key Fob (not wireless). I've had the truck for 3 years and have went through 4 key fobs. Every few months the key fob stops working out of the blue and I get a "Wrong Key Fob" message. My backup key works though.

The dealer just keeps making me a new key (charged me again for the last one) and I keep the backup in the glove box because this keeps happening. If I can't find a fix for this, I'm going to have to get rid of the truck. Any ideas for how to keep these keys from going bad or what may be causing this?

Old 08-23-2022, 01:56 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I think I understand what you're describing, but some terminology is a bit confusing.

So to clarify, you have power locks (opposite of "manual" locks) and remote keyless entry (which would be wireless), but you do not have proximity unlock and start / keyless ignition. Your key fob for the remote keyless entry stops working after several months but you're still able to start your truck so the transponder portion of the key fob is recognized and working, just the remote keyless has a problem.

When the fob stops working have you ever checked the battery voltage (preferably under load, which I know can be difficult to do)? I would like to think you'd get a low battery warning rather than a "wrong key fob" error but still worth considering. Does you ever have issue with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) light coming on around the same time as the wrong fob error? I'd have to check the schematics, but I think the same wireless module receives the TPMS signals as the keyless entry.

-Rod

Old 08-24-2022, 05:18 AM
KeyFOB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No. The key looks like a regular key (but has a chip in it...no battery though). The keys keep failing after a few months and when I place it into the ignition I have an error that says "Wrong Key Fob".

I read another thread where someone said they replace the WIN module and that fixed this problem. I've ordered a new one and will try that.

Old 08-24-2022, 11:38 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, that's the direction I was heading (WIN) with the question about the TPMS.

-Rod

Quick Reply: Wrong Key Fob