4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Cannot Remove FOB/Key from ignition on 2011 RAM 1500 (Battery Not Dead, Gear in Park)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 01:59 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostdog
Well I just RTFM and confirmed that the hidden emergency key is not required for the keyfob to work. You can remove it for valet parking as I thought. So, I'm stumped. The only thing mentioned in the manual which can prevent the fob from being removed is the gear shifter. So I guess something has malfunctioned. I just find it odd that it occurred when it did.

I could not find any known issues of why the FOB could not be removed. Something to do with the alarm maybe? I agree with another poster on here about letting the dealer look at it. If you want to PM me your VIN I can tell you definitely if the TSB I posted above pertains to your vehicle.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:57 PM
ghostdog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
Sounds like the computer is confused. Perhaps it will be better after you disconnect the battery and leave it unplugged for 10-20 minutes. Then reconnect things and see if the system is back to normal and the key fob comes out.
BigBlueEdge hit the nail on the head. The system was confused. I disconnected the battery for just two minutes reconnected while leaving the FOB in ACC and got one honk on the horn, then I could hear my car chimming from inside and see the normal display. I could then immediately remove my FOB. Put my second FOB back in and it started right up. Tested the remotes, both working. Put it the original FOB back in, started right up. It seems that the system was in a failed state before I even opened the door originally that night. I think this was a fluke, but if it happens again, I know what to do and then I'll take it in. If it's going to fail again, it's going to fail within my allotted 100,000 miles.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:02 PM
bleuet

It looks like a fail safe feature in case of a robbery.

On my truck, I tried a few things. When the window is open and I unlock the door from the oustide, the alarm is enabled. Which I beleive simulates a broken window and a robbery... I tried a few other things, with the door open, partially closed and so on. In regards to remote start, My truck will refuse to start if the fuel level is too low. Which I can make sense of.

In the case of a fog getting stuck in the fob holder is interesting. Did you try the second fob? Using the second fob may help by simulating that the real owner of the truck (which is still you in this case) is back. Unlocking the doors with the second fob should disable the alarm.

Did you find more about your problem?

Regards

Bleuet

Old 11-25-2011, 01:29 PM
ghostdog

Hi bleuet,

I don't think it was a failsafe for robbery since I had both the manual key and fob, which should be sufficient for disabling the alarm. Even when triggering your alarm by opening your door through an open window, even a dead fob should be sufficient for disabling it once it's put into the ignition and turned (provided it is still a valid fob).

However, you brought up a good point regarding the second fob. I didn't mention on the original posting, but I did try that as well. I had my wife bring the second fob, and while in this state, the system didn't even respond to it at all. Door lock/unlock did not register anything. Grabbing at straws, I even tried holding the second fob up to the ignition, while turning the stuck fob, thinking that if the first fob was invalid, the signal from the second one might be picked up. No avail. The system was pretty hosed.

The only thing which resolved the issue was removing the battery for a couple minutes. Simple put, it seemed the computer needed a hard reboot. The problem hasn't occurred again since.

Thanks,
-Jose

Old 11-25-2011, 06:46 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

same thing happened to be twice. I had to literally yank the fricking thing out, i thought I would break something, but nothing. Happened because the negative cable was loose on the battery.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:37 AM
bleuet

That might be a long shot but, I found the installation manual for the remote start system. The manual shows where the components are. The one item that would be related to this situation is the hood switch. The switch is located at the hood latch. I would just assume that if the hood is up, the switch needs lube or the switch is faulty, the system may trigger the fob to get stuck or the engine not to run. If not that, is it that the fob can actually get stuck in the fob hole? Plastic wears out I guess.

Off topic. I have a question about the valet key, and keys. Can keys be used to start the engine when inserted in the fob hole? Is it that only the fob can start the engine and the keys are for door locks?

Regards

Bleuet

Old 11-26-2011, 08:35 PM
brettj2408
Captain

Needs win module. Seen many

Old 11-27-2011, 01:36 PM
ghostdog

Originally Posted by bleuet
Off topic. I have a question about the valet key, and keys. Can keys be used to start the engine when inserted in the fob hole? Is it that only the fob can start the engine and the keys are for door locks?

Regards

Bleuet
Only the fob can be used for starting the car, you cannot put a metal key in the fob hole. The idea of the valet is that you can lock the glove box using the hidden key, remove it from the fob, and take it with you. This way valet's can park your car while you leave your valuables in the glove box.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:47 PM
jgraba
Default 2011 Dodge Caravan Key fob stuck

Temporarily removing the battery cable also fixed my similar problem. Thanks your posts saved me a lot of money.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:18 PM
riktors1
Default Same issue w/o the horn

I am in the middle of the same thing, except my horn did not sound. I got it towed to the dealer. The battery was bad, i changed the battery, and it started just fine. Have to put this in because i could saved myself a LOT of money if i had known to actually check the battery instead of only taking the cables off.

Quick Reply: Cannot Remove FOB/Key from ignition on 2011 RAM 1500 (Battery Not Dead, Gear in Park)