4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Cannot Remove FOB/Key from ignition on 2011 RAM 1500 (Battery Not Dead, Gear in Park)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 12:15 PM
maka
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my uncles truck did the same thing when i removed the battery and then tried taking the key out... it was stuck in there until I put the battery back in. My truck does that when I leave it in gear and shut the truck off... Its the computer on the truck telling it to not release the key

Old 03-22-2014, 11:27 AM
superbyrd526
Default 2011 key FOB lock

Ghostdog....same thing just happened to me......a security malfunction occurs so it locks the truck functions for security, seems like dead key FOB or truck battery.....I checked 13.75V on both....interior lights work but nothing else......disconnect battery positive terminals for 5 min.....reconnect and start.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:13 PM
Lee90690
Default Thank you!!

[QUOTE=ghostdog;2592624]BigBlueEdge...THANK YOU!! We just had this exact same issue tonight...disconnected the battery and it started right up!!

Old 11-16-2014, 08:07 AM
nicola.dinisio
Rookie

This same exact problem happened to me last night on my 2011 Durango Citadel 3.6L.
Just detached the negative pole cable from the battery stored under the passenger's seat for a couple of minutes, and then plug it back again.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:20 PM
Joey935

I've got this same issue repeating over and over, only for my 2011 ram Laramie, disconnecting the battery doesn't work and after reconnecting the alarm goes right back to work. This is the fifth time getting stranded, I'll lock my truck via fob return and, guess what?! The fob doesn't work anymore, no problem I'll just go back and buy new batteries for the fob, nope that doesn't work either. So then I manually use the key to open the door and proceed to have the funniest time of my life in a Walmart parking lot, horn blaring. Help, there's no way to disable the alarm mode both of my fobs have gone down, there's no choice but to tow to the dealer that isn't open. I'll post back with what they tell me - I know I can't be the only mf'r that this is happening to.....

Old 03-23-2015, 10:02 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey935
I've got this same issue repeating over and over, only for my 2011 ram Laramie, disconnecting the battery doesn't work and after reconnecting the alarm goes right back to work. This is the fifth time getting stranded, I'll lock my truck via fob return and, guess what?! The fob doesn't work anymore, no problem I'll just go back and buy new batteries for the fob, nope that doesn't work either. So then I manually use the key to open the door and proceed to have the funniest time of my life in a Walmart parking lot, horn blaring. Help, there's no way to disable the alarm mode both of my fobs have gone down, there's no choice but to tow to the dealer that isn't open. I'll post back with what they tell me - I know I can't be the only mf'r that this is happening to.....
Joey935,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your concern. Be sure to keep us posted on this!

Old 04-16-2016, 04:33 PM
mattsm
Default Solution to Key FOB stuck in ignition

2011 dodge ram 4x4 big horn.

What happened: My FOB would not unlock my doors so I used the key inside the FOB to unlock the door. As soon as I opened the dorms alarm went off. I tried to start the truck and it would not do anything. I tried to take the key out and it was locked, it would not turn all the way to off and was stuck.

Problem solving: Called dodge. They said tow it and we can run diagnostics for 150/hr. So I was looking at minimum $350-400.

Solution: DO NOT TOW TO DEALER! Disconnect your battery and let it sit. I let mine sit overnight. Turn your key to ACC. Connect your battery. You should hear 3 honks. Then start your truck!After that you should be good to go!

Old 01-13-2017, 12:17 PM
hog_dawg_03
Default Thank you!!

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
Sounds like the computer is confused. Perhaps it will be better after you disconnect the battery and leave it unplugged for 10-20 minutes. Then reconnect things and see if the system is back to normal and the key fob comes out.

Our 2005 Grand Cherokee went nuts once where it refused to unlock the doors with either key fob and then set off the alarm when I opened the doors with the actual manual key. The alarm would not turn off by any means - hitting the unlock button on the door nor starting it up. And even starting it up left it in theft mode so I couldn't drive it. Had to unplug the battery for a few minutes to reboot things. Was a real clusterfrack because this happened out front of a busy restaurant on a Friday night. Talk about embarrassing. Sometimes these computers just get confused.

Rob
Thank you BigBlueEdge and ghostdog!! I realize you started this discussion several years ago, but I had the exact same issue with my 2011 Ram 1500 yesterday, January 12, 2017. I called our local Dodge dealership and spoke with a service technician who told me to try and jump start my truck. I asked why and he said that maybe my battery doesn't have enough juice to start my engine. I told him that it had enough power to honk the horn and blink the lights like crazy and he said that it was hard to diagnose over the phone without the truck being there. I told him that was my problem, I can't take the truck anywhere with the key locked in the ignition, horn blaring, lights blinking, steering wheel locked and gear shift locked. I tried jump starting anyway and nothing changed. I then came inside and started my Google search and found this forum after about 20 minutes of looking. I tried disconnecting the positive battery cable and in less than a minute, reconnected the cable and everything was back to normal. As a matter of fact, it is back to better than normal, my key fob works better to unlock and lock the doors, and my truck seems to run better too. Who the heck knows what my Dodge dealer would have charged me if I had the truck towed to them. I probably would have been out hundreds, if not thousands of dollars when all I had to do was disconnect the battery for a while. What a crappy design flaw. I wonder what I would have done if I were out of state traveling somewhere when this happened.

Thanks again guys. If you are ever in the Topeka, Kansas area, look me up and I'll buy you a beer!!

Old 01-14-2017, 11:08 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think all that I have read here is about 2011 model year... has anyone with a newer RAM (mine is 2014) had this problem and solved it this way?

Old 01-16-2017, 07:09 PM
fatfig

This happen to me twice on my 2013 and 2015 ram truck. I just move the shiftier from park to drive and the fob released. Like i said it on;y happen twice on both vehicles.

Quick Reply: Cannot Remove FOB/Key from ignition on 2011 RAM 1500 (Battery Not Dead, Gear in Park)