4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2013 EVIC question....

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 11:49 PM
CHRGD
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering if you made any progress?

Old 09-01-2013, 01:04 AM
hattitude
Professional

Last trip to the dealer we went backwards......

The service writer actually had me talk with the tech by phone.

Tech said that Chrysler told him, since a new gauge cluster didn't fix it, to compare it with a like vehicle. He said he compared it with a new truck on the lot, same radio, and the new truck EVIC worked just like mine.....

I explained to him that both truck's gauge clusters were malfunctioning. I told him about the quote I had from HIS service manual that said the EVIC is supposed stay on the last screen selected. I told him I had printed it out and it was in the console of the truck. I told him I appreciated his efforts, but if he thinks it's functioning properly, just put that on the service order and I'll deal with Chrysler over this ridiculous quirk that no one knows how to fix....

He said, "Let em play around with it some more and see what I find."

Service writer called me 3 hours later. He told me the tech read what I had printed out, and found it in the service manual. He sent that to Chrysler, and they were still waiting for a response on how/what to do to fix it.

I picked the truck up and have been waiting for a call back. That was on 8/22, and my 4th trip to the dealer over this. If it was a bigger problem and/or the truck was not drivable, I'd be raising hell....

Really sad that this is such a big problem to fix.... Lost a lot of faith in Ram and their dealers/techs. I certainly won't be buying an extended warranty... what's the point if they can't fix the truck...!?

Going on vacation this week, gonna call the dealer when I get back.... I have a double din head unit with GPS & bluetooth ready to install in place of my U-Connect 3.0 radio, but I don't dare until they fix this...... they'd just blame it on me and the aftermarket radio....

I'll certainly post up what/if the fix happens....

Old 09-01-2013, 09:33 AM
CHRGD
Professional

WOW! I'm sorry to hear that, though I do appreciate your response. Have a great time on your vacation, and try to forget about it for a few days at least. Thanks.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:45 PM
marvin02

For someone with a 2013 and the Uconnect 3.0 radio:

Does your EVIC stay on the same screen it was on after a complete shut down (key off, exit vehicle, wait a few minutes)?

Mine works exactly as hattitude describes his. I also use the gauge view and the truck always returns to the tire pressure view.

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
OPERATION

The Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) uses both non-switched and ignition switched sources of battery current so that some of its features remain operational at any time, while others may only operate with the ignition switch in the ON position. When the ignition switch is turned to the ON position, the EVIC display will return to the last function being displayed before the ignition was turned to the OFF position.
. . . .
This quote has been shortened.

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
There are "modes" and there are "functions". I am going to try and get the definition of each. The description I posted above came out of the service manual not the owners manual. It is my hunch that there are 4 or 5 main screens that your EVIC will return to when re-started. I believe if you are in a sub category of one of the main functions it will return to the main function screen not the sub category. I will try and get clarification on this and post up anything else I find on the EVIC screens.
I have added emphasis to the last quote.

I think it may actually be working as designed.

The tire pressure screen and the gauge summary screen are both reached by selecting "Vehicle Information". I believe "Vehicle Information" is the function and that the tire pressure screen is the default mode. If I am wrong then my EVIC is also working wrong.

I will check things out more next time I am in my truck.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:53 AM
CHRGD
Professional

I had my truck in 2 weeks ago for a unrelated recall. While I was there I was talking with the mechanic about this issue with the EVIC, and he said he would shoot off a few emails. Well today I got a call from the dealership, and he says he had talked with Chrysler Engineers and they say it's working as it should. When I told him about this forum, and this post, he says it is working as designed, but maybe in the future they may come out with a update to fix this problem. Now if its working as designed, then why would we have to fix it. At this point I don't know if we have a problem or not, hopefully someone, someday will tell us exactly how its suppose to work, and how to fix it, if in fact ours are not working right.

Quick Reply: 2013 EVIC question....