4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changing tire size in computer

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 09:40 PM
NMRam
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing tire size in computer

Is it possible for the average driver to change the tire size in the computer? Can you also register the TPMS tires.

What I would like to do is to change to my sand tires. Register the new tires and TPMS sensors. Change the tires back to street, change the tire size in the computer and register the TPMS again.

I would like to do this without going to the dealer everytime I want to change tires.

Can it be done?

Old 04-08-2014, 07:35 AM
War Horse
All Star

Depending on what year you have, a tuner will work. I have a 2009 and use the Superchips tuner. It take a little bit each time you flash the truck, but yes, you'd be able to change the tire sizes yourself with it.

As for TPMS, as long as you're using the same wheels, or a different set of wheels with known good Mopar compliant sensors, they should autosync back to the truck. It might take a day of driving, but the TPMS light should go out on it's own.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:59 PM
NMRam
Rookie

Originally Posted by War Horse
Depending on what year you have, a tuner will work. I have a 2009 and use the Superchips tuner. It take a little bit each time you flash the truck, but yes, you'd be able to change the tire sizes yourself with it.

As for TPMS, as long as you're using the same wheels, or a different set of wheels with known good Mopar compliant sensors, they should autosync back to the truck. It might take a day of driving, but the TPMS light should go out on it's own.

I could be wrong, but I think that somewhere along the line they started registering wheels in certain locations. Once they did that, it required something to be set up in the computer for the tire location.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:32 PM
War Horse
All Star

Ah yes, I think you're right. My 2009 only has the dumb TPMS which only monitors for any low pressure alarm, but I think starting in 2011 they got individual readouts from each tire and it's location.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:01 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NMRam
I could be wrong, but I think that somewhere along the line they started registering wheels in certain locations. Once they did that, it required something to be set up in the computer for the tire location.
Nope. Doesn't matter. It would make tire rotation too difficult for the owner. I switch out summer tires for my snows for the last two years no problems.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:11 AM
NMRam
Rookie

Originally Posted by Duso02
Nope. Doesn't matter. It would make tire rotation too difficult for the owner. I switch out summer tires for my snows for the last two years no problems.
What year?

Old 04-19-2014, 11:28 AM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is a 2011 when they changed to the new TPMS sensors. I have one sensor that reads 1-2 psi low consistently. When I rotate my tires that one conveniently appears right where I have moved that tire.

Quick Reply: Changing tire size in computer