4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TMPS issues 2010 1500 sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 12:37 AM
SMGFATMAN71
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lukanov
So one day after putting my summer tires and rims on after winter my tmps light came on and starting beeping probably about once a minute, and so i checked my tire pressure display and it looks like its working and reading the tire pressures fine and then it freezes for a minute or so and then works again, all the while my "ding" goes everytime it freezes and unfreezes. ive done just about everything i can find
- checking tire pressures are correct
- disconnecting the battery and resetting system
- wrapping hid ballasts + ensuring my HID lights werent the problem
- ensuring my sensors all work properly and are in good condition

the dodge dealership told me they thought it was the irridium spark plugs i put in the truck, but i have a hard time believing that one.

so im at the point now where i tried to locate the actual door chime and put tape over it or something because driving in silence does not exist for me.

anyone have or heard of this issue?
In a 2010 and up, when the tpms light is on , it also chimes? My 09 chimes once, thank god, is it supposed keep ringing?

Old 08-09-2014, 01:44 AM
lukanov

Thanks for the input, however my set up was just fine for the past 3 years no problems at all until the other week when I put the other set of wheels on. I am pretty much pulling my hair out trying to figure out just what the heck it could be no one seems to have had this problem or if they had issues with TPMS they figured out how to clear it. Anything I have tried has not worked

Old 08-09-2014, 01:48 AM
lukanov

and yes it does about 1 audible chime per minute, and the little light goes in and out of alarm as well

Old 08-09-2014, 11:20 AM
mike2810
Captain

my 09 had a sensor go bad in the rr tire. the tpms light on the dash would chime once, blink for about a minute then change to a steady light. Had the sensor replaced and all is good.

I was told that if the tire is low, the tpms system would chime once and go to a stead light. If the sensor is going bad, its chimes once then blinks before going steady.

Like the poster. I checked the tires and they were all good. the info was in the owners manual.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:37 PM
lukanov

hmm, well i did take my truck into the local tire shop to have the sensors checked, the guy told me all of them are operating normal (or appeared to be) and suggested i look else where. i guess i could just get a new tire sensor installed in the rear right and hope that solves the problem but then if it doesnt im out almost a hundred bucks at least

Old 08-09-2014, 05:19 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lukanov
hmm, well i did take my truck into the local tire shop to have the sensors checked, the guy told me all of them are operating normal (or appeared to be) and suggested i look else where. i guess i could just get a new tire sensor installed in the rear right and hope that solves the problem but then if it doesnt im out almost a hundred bucks at least

Have you tried a different dealership?

Old 08-09-2014, 09:35 PM
lukanov

I have not tried a different dealership, I have a feeling they will charge me yet another 150 bucks to tell me that its not my TPMS unit and that its something else

Old 08-10-2014, 10:59 AM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As the chime only occurs once when the pressure exceeds the limit, it does not make sense on why it keeps occurring unless it is an intermittent failure. Meaning, it gets a bad reading, chimes and lights, then gets a good signal and acts like you aired it up and fixed it. Then it gets the bad reading and fails again.

To trouble shoot the sensors, swap out one tire at a time (with your winters) and drive it around until you know it is reading the new tire. You can change the pressure to see it read the new tire. If the beeping continues, swap on another tire and repeat. If all four get swapped out and it continues, then it is not a sensor.

Also, leaving the EVIC on the TP screen, can you see what happens the moment it starts beeping? Does one tire drop off or change pressure?

Old 08-10-2014, 11:01 AM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, just read where you swapped the winters back on with no luck. That would point to truck system. Any codes thrown?

Old 08-10-2014, 04:56 PM
lukanov

Sorry, just read where you swapped the winters back on with no luck. That would point to truck system. Any codes thrown?

There is no code that I see. When i have the evic on the tire pressure screen your right its almost as if it reads the tire pressures fine and the light is out, and then about once a minute it freezes and reverts to these certain pressures it always goes back to when it freezes, the light comes on and the audible chimes in. then after about a minute it will read all the tire pressures correctly and the light will go out. weird i must say....

Quick Reply: TMPS issues 2010 1500 sport