4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

back up camera

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 01:34 PM
critchlaw1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default back up camera

I'm trying to tap into my OEM back up camera to an aftermarket screen and I'm having a real hard time figuring it out. I can't find the correct wire to splice.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:03 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by critchlaw1
I'm trying to tap into my OEM back up camera to an aftermarket screen and I'm having a real hard time figuring it out. I can't find the correct wire to splice.
Aftermarket electronic equipment that will work stand-alone should be relatively easy to install since nothing in the PCM programming needs to be activated. The electronic users/installation manual should tell you exactly what wiring you need to install and what type of circuits you may need to tap into - essentially, you'll need to decide if you need any "always on" power (usually used for keeping the settings/selections/setup alive in the electronics), otherwise, you'll just need to supply power that can get turned off by the key. My suggestion would be to find the appropriate circuit(s) in your power distribution box and use the plug-in "add a circuit" pigtails (you can get these for most auto panel types with a variety of fuse sizes being available) and some additional wire to bring the power from that location to the equipment (this just leaves you with finding a local ground location & any hole with a self tapping screw will provide this for you). You can also do this from any existing fuse panel as long as you don't overload the existing circuit feed and liquid crystal displays & cameras usually don't take much current and have no "in rush" to speak of.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:06 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by critchlaw1
Sorry, I gave you some "bum" advise above - I didn't comprehend what I read (brain fart). I could blame it on the season, but I don't "indulge"

Quick Reply: back up camera