4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help and advice on front leveling kit 2012-13 Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 07:22 PM
CHRGD
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help and advice on front leveling kit 2012-13 Ram 1500

Hi guys, and thanks for any help you can give. I installed 2 front end leveling kits, one was a Rough Country 2.5" kit that goes between the spring and the spring mount, truck has 44,000 miles, and one was the aluminum ring that bolts on top of the strut assembly, this truck has 22,000 miles. Both kits have changed the ride quality, they both ride rougher, both kits seems to have exacerbated a strut problem, meaning have a bounce, like the struts are bad. On the Rough Country kit, he complains of a rougher ride as well, and we put new struts on his when we installed it. My main question is, has anybody just got a taller coil spring, with the same spring rate, and tried to raise the front end that way, and if so what was your ride quality like. I have a phone number of a coil spring specialty place, but am awaiting a call back. Thanks,

Old 05-06-2016, 11:26 AM
Arctodus
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ride is rougher because you have loaded up the coil and it doesn't have enough space to travel like it did before the leveling kit. I have a 2" kit on my truck but am happy with the ride. I did hear of somebody using the spring from a 2500 in there 1500 and it lifted the truck 3" but it also was a rough ride.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:57 PM
CHRGD
Professional

I see what you are saying, one kit was between the spring and top mount, but one kit bolted on top and did not affect the spring at all, and still got a rough ride. I did get a call back from the coil spring place, looks like 269-294, depending on what spring I need. Not sure what I'm gonna do. Thanks for the reply.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:14 AM
Rjthomas49

I had that rough country level kit. Well mine was the lift level 2.5 on front 1.5 in back. Had it for a few months. Just took it out the other day because I was getting squeaking noises. Ride quality was alot rougher. Also am now replacing both front struts, both sway bar links, and maybe ball joints all depending on what dealership says. With only 16k on truck. If you look a few threads down you will see the pictures of the parts. All caused from the level kit. It's under the squeaking/chirping thread. So just be careful with coil spacers. Luckily it is still under warranty.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:27 PM
CHRGD
Professional

Took my leveling kit out the other day, all back to stock now, ride is back to normal, but so is the lower front end. Still not sure what to do. Someone told me Rancho has a coil spring, and the strut as a assembly. Wonder how the ride is with that one, I'm guessing it will still be rough as your still stuffing 2 1/2" of extra spring with the stock strut length. thanks for the replies guys. Appreciate it.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:09 AM
duke07
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using adjustable Bilstein's is another method to lift the front. The Bilstein 1500 can provide better ride. I also recommend ReadyLift . I know some guys have this leveling kit and according to them, ready lift didn't affect the factory ride quality.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:38 AM
CHRGD
Professional

Thanks Duke07 Is the Bilstein a strut? I still haven't made any decisions yet.

Quick Reply: Need help and advice on front leveling kit 2012-13 Ram 1500