4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 5.7L

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 12:16 AM
Eddie Kroll
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 5.7L

New member and new owner here,

I have a very basic understanding of engines so keep this in mind.

1) recently I tried to pull down the passenger window from the driver's side when the windows were frozen. I heard the motor trying to open it but nothing happened.

When I cleaned the ice off, the window went down but not completed...about 90%. Then I pulled the window up, it went all the way up but automatically returned down to the 90% position again.

So what I did after pulling it up again was hit the down button once quickly as soon as the window reached the top.

That at was immediately after. Now it no longer returns to the 90% position when pulled up; however, it still doesn't go down entirely. I tried to use my hand to guide it down while pressing the button but to no avail?

2) I can't find the power steering fluid and transmission fluid dipsticks. The owners manual shows that the latter is supposed to be at the back close to the air filter hose but it's nowhere to be seen. The manual doesn't even mention the dipstick for the power steering fluid.

3) On a related topic, how can I remove the cover on the engine. It's blocked by the filter hose.

4) I sometimes feel that when I lift my foot off the gas pedal, there is some braking occurring.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by Eddie Kroll; 02-14-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:41 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Take the truck into the dealer and DON'T tell them what you did to the window. Just act surprised lol

Do you have a rotary shifter?

8 speed doesn't have a dipstick OR tube and you have a sealed electric power steering unit. The days of PS pumps are over (:

#4 may be your perception of the 8 speed downshift/partial downshift.

This vehicle comes with an Electric Power Steering (EPS) system as standard equipment and it is the only steering system available. The power steering system consists of these major components:

• Rack and Pinion Steering Gear with EPS assist.
  • Steering Column.
  • Inner and Outer Tie Rod Ends.

The EPS system is a dry gear system. The EPS system does not contain any hydraulic components such as:

• a belt-driven hydraulic pump.
  • any high-pressure hydraulic hoses.
  • power steering fluid.
The EPS system will not experience a hydraulic leak. If fluid is detected at the front of the vehicle, on or near the steering gear, investigate other systems.

Last edited by TNtech; 02-14-2017 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:54 AM
Eddie Kroll
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TNtech
Take the truck into the dealer and DON'T tell them what you did to the window. Just act surprised lol

Do you have a rotary shifter?

8 speed doesn't have a dipstick OR tube and you have a sealed electric power steering unit. The days of PS pumps are over (:

#4 may be your perception of the 8 speed downshift/partial downshift.
Yes I have a rotary shifter (which I'm not a huge fan of, by the way. I'm old school :]). So the rotary means 8 speed?

So if there is no transmission dipstick, is it accessed from under the vehicle? And if you can advise about how to remove the cover of the engine? I does look cool what with the "Hemi," but I want to take a better look at the engine.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:45 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie Kroll
Yes I have a rotary shifter (which I'm not a huge fan of, by the way. I'm old school :]). So the rotary means 8 speed?

So if there is no transmission dipstick, is it accessed from under the vehicle? And if you can advise about how to remove the cover of the engine? I does look cool what with the "Hemi," but I want to take a better look at the engine.

Yep, rotary means 8 speed. How many times have you lifted your arm up and grabbed air instead of a shift lever?

An 8mm for the air hose. Once it's out of the way you have to pull up and forward to get it out.