2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Serpentine Belt Question!

Old 01-09-2007, 06:22 PM
JarheadX
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine Belt Question!

I have a 99 dodge ram 1500. I went everyone to try and buy a new belt so I can bypass my a/c due to its bad bearings. Well they only sell the ones for trucks ending in the vin Z. I end with a 5. Whats soooo different about my engine that I can't use the same belt.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Glideman88
Professional
Default RE: Serpentine Belt Question!

There shouldn't be any difference,the belt routing is all the same just minus the AC.

I had do the same thing last summer while on vacation. We were 200 miles from home when my ACclutch bearingwent bad. Of course it was nearly 100 degrees thatweek so it made for some excellent "family time" pulling the camper from place to place.

I went to the local NAPA and they looked up the part# for a 5.9 without AC and I tried it but it was too tight. So through trial and error the parts guy let me try some slightly longer belts till I found the one that fits.

I replaced the AC clutch a couple days after we returned from our trip, but I keep that extra belt in my toolbox in case of emergencies. If you can wait till this evening, I can get you the right part number.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:39 PM
JarheadX
All Star

yup thats my exact problem

Old 01-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Ram1500Dodge
Veteran

i did the same thing...the belt for the engine without A/C is way to tight...my buddy works at the auto parts store, so i took my truck up there and my buddy just kept giving me the belt the next size up until i found one that fit...the number for the belt i got is 5070900 or 7PK25215, i got the belt at Advanced Auto Parts, let me know if this works for you

Old 01-09-2007, 07:43 PM
JarheadX
All Star

yeah those are different from what i tried i tried, 5071040, so i gotta try those, but Glideman has the same setup as me and hes giving me the exact part from nappa so im going to try that and see how it goes, thanks for your help tho...my a/c doesn't even work and now the clutch is making a horrible noise so im going to bypass it and not spend the 400 bucks to get it fixed because im not worried about a/c i like my windows down anyways.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Glideman88
Professional

$400 to fix the A/C clutch?!?!!?!?!

A new clutch at the Dealer was under $250 and I got one from the boneyard for only $75!

The part # on the belt I used is NAPA 25-070901

Old 01-09-2007, 11:56 PM
JarheadX
All Star

lol thanks man, i don't want my a/c so im gunna sue the belt

Old 01-10-2007, 12:23 AM
JarheadX
All Star

Hey glide...are you sure this one will fit, and is it easy to put on becaue i was trying to put on one of those smaller parts and it pissed me off. I went to Advanced auto 4 different times. They tried telling me i was doing it wrong and i was like..."no, im not this is the wrong belt" then i went to Dodge Dealership, they only sell oem parts. I went to pep boys...needless to say...didn't work. Then I went to Auto Zone. They didn't have it for my Vin they said...so its being ordered... and that was 50 bucks. So if this belt for $30 at napa works.... and goes on easy...which as you all know is never the case i will be so happy, because i havn't driven my truck in 3 days and its killin me...she is begging to be driven

Old 01-10-2007, 02:14 AM
Glideman88
Professional

It's theone that fit on my truck and I got the part # right off the belt itself. My truck has a decal under the hood with a belt routing diagram.It shows the routingfor the belt both with or without air conditioning.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:26 AM
JarheadX
All Star

same here, i got that exact one and a guy at pepboys tried to tell me "no that can't be done it does not work"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt Question!