Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Uconnect external mic poor quality

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 01:58 PM
jojidavis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uconnect external mic poor quality

Good day to everyone!
Wife"s 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT came with MyGig REN, no nav and uconnect.
I bought an aftermarket OEM MyGig RHB 430N which has nav and also bought the uconnect module with an external microphone.
I installed everything without much trouble and all radio & nav functions work great.
PROBLEM : The uconnect phone is about 50/50 on understanding our commands.
I have heard that road noise will affect it, understandably so. But I'm talking
about parked, engine not running and all windows up.
Does anyone know if there is a higher quality external wired microphone that will work?

Old 03-26-2014, 07:46 AM
xsdbs
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What commands are you trying to use that aren't being recognized? The external mic is pretty much the same quality as others. You may have a command use issue.

Originally Posted by jojidavis
Good day to everyone!
Wife"s 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT came with MyGig REN, no nav and uconnect.
I bought an aftermarket OEM MyGig RHB 430N which has nav and also bought the uconnect module with an external microphone.
I installed everything without much trouble and all radio & nav functions work great.
PROBLEM : The uconnect phone is about 50/50 on understanding our commands.
I have heard that road noise will affect it, understandably so. But I'm talking
about parked, engine not running and all windows up.
Does anyone know if there is a higher quality external wired microphone that will work?

Old 03-27-2014, 08:33 AM
jojidavis
Default Uconnect commands

A lot of times its mis-recognition of any of the phone commands, and especially phonebook names. Constantly repeating back symbols and numbers for a name we said to call.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:25 AM
xsdbs
Captain

If you say a name that Uconnect (or any other voice recognition system) doesn't fully recognize, then it will search it's memory to find a name or even characters that sound similar to what was said.

I have run into the issues of names not being recognized. When this happens I will listen to how the system calls out a name. Sometimes a computer will say a name differently than we do. How I do this is:

1) Look at my contact list and choose a name a couple spots above the name that I want to hear,

2) Then press and release the Uconnect phone button and say "phonebook, list names". Uconnect will ask you for a name to start from, I'll say the name that I chose,

3) Uconnect will now start listing the names.

As an example, my wife's name is Kala (I pronounce it with a hard "K" & "A" as the start of her name) But a computer pronounces it as "Cala", with the "C" sounding like a soft "K" and the rest of the name is also pronounced with soft characters. So when I want to call her, I'll say "call Cala" and it goes thru every time.

As an option, Uconnect itself has an internal phonebook memory that will hold up to 32 names and up to 4 contact numbers per name. You can store names using your own voice, then you don't have to remember how the computer (or Uconnect) pronounces the name. How you'd do this is:

1) Press and release the Uconnect phone button and say "phonebook, new entry",

2) Uconnect will ask you for the name, (now just follow Uconnect's prompts)

When you add numbers to a contact, you want to use either <work, home, pager or mobile>, if you use any other type of field, then Uconnect will not recognize it.
I hope this helps you a little.

Added note******

In the earlier versions of Uconnect, the VR commands for placing a call was the word "dial",
EX:
1) Dial 3105551212
2) Dial George, you'll be asked if you'd like to call George at (then Uconnect will list the fied<s> that you have listed for him)

As of 2012, Uconnect uses the VR commands "Dial" for calling a number and "Call" for calling a name:

EX:

1) Dial 3105551212
2) Call George

A lot of times its mis-recognition of any of the phone commands, and especially phonebook names. Constantly repeating back symbols and numbers for a name we said to call.

Last edited by xsdbs; 03-28-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:58 AM
jojidavis
Default Uconnect commands

Thanks for your input.

I have entered the internal phonebook in my own voice. First I took the Voice Recognition training repeating all the words.
This is the phonebook I am giving the commands to call from, and its mis-recognizing the names that are in my own voice.
You are right about the downloaded phone book voice. She speaks in a kinda foreign accent and pronounces names differently than we do.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:51 AM
xsdbs
Captain

"foreign sounding voice"? What is the part number on the black module? Where did you purchase the kit from?
Is it possible for you to make a short video of you trying to place a call and post it? Sometimes I can see something on a video that may be helpful.

Thanks for your input.

I have entered the internal phonebook in my own voice. First I took the Voice Recognition training repeating all the words.
This is the phonebook I am giving the commands to call from, and its mis-recognizing the names that are in my own voice.
You are right about the downloaded phone book voice. She speaks in a kinda foreign accent and pronounces names differently than we do.

Quick Reply: Uconnect external mic poor quality