Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)
View Poll Results: 2014 Jeep Cherokee – Love It or Kill It With Fire?
I love it. Chrysler went outside of the box.
13.16%
I dont love it - but its not as bad as it is made out to be.
44.74%
It's brutal. A monster like this can only be killed with fire.
42.11%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Question of the Week 2014 Jeep Cherokee – Love It or Kill It With Fire?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gutless awd pavement queen

Old 09-19-2013, 05:09 PM
clipper77
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hideous.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:24 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Definitely not trail rated as Jeeps are known for. Personally I believe they should have stuck the Chrysler badge on it instead of the Jeep. That is not a Jeep, but it does show the way consumers impact the marketplace. It will sell, no doubt, but not to the die hard Jeepsters. Which lights are the headlights?? lol

Last edited by jkeaton; 09-19-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:58 PM
Klokworx
Rookie

hit a bump and the whole front bumper cover falls off. is jeep merging with nissan or something? everything nowadays looks like its from a chinese toy factory now

Old 09-23-2013, 03:24 PM
glhall1960
Amateur
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a morphed Pontiac Aztek. When did Chrysler designers start dropping acid?

Old 09-24-2013, 10:41 AM
joseph.m.kurtz

I like it, but I don,t like it! Does not look like a true Mopar product.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:40 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by volaredon
why didnt they just simply bring back the XJ as it was? They had a winner there and they had to go and kill it. Cherokee and GC are now the same vehicle it appears from the doors back; except for front clip. why have same brand with 2 models so close to being the same?
"The XJ was discontinued in 2001. That means that it is no more. The platform has ceased to be. It's platform has expired and gone to meet its maker. It is a late model. It is a stiff. It rests in peace. If it were any later it would be pushing up daisies. It has been melted down to form a statue of the singing choir invisible. THIS IS AN X(J)-PLATFORM!" (Paraphrasing and modify Monty Python's Flying Circus "The Parrot Sketch")

The XJ was indeed a great SUV in its time. The simple fact is the XJ cannot be revived because the tooling for building it is long gone. To recreate it would cost a fortune and would have to be updated for modern rules and regulations. While its sales numbers were respectable at its end, the market has changed considerably since 2001 and there are no guarantees that it will work considering that Jeep already has 2 contenders in the traditional 5 seater RWD/4X4 market.

The other fact no matter how much XJ fan may hate to hear it is the Liberty was out selling it (in the 1st generation). It was time for a change. Jeep made both the Commander and Patriot using XJ like styling and for 2 very different segments (SUV and crossover respectively) and neither were successful. The Grand Cherokee was meant to replace the Cherokee and in reality in the modern market what more could you expect?

The new Cherokee and the Grand Cherokee look less alike than the first and second gen Grand Cherokee and XJ Cherokee did. There is a point in having similar names indicating that the Grand was an upgraded Cherokee (when it was infact the next gen platform). The new Cherokee has nothing in common with the Grand Cherokee. The Cherokee is based off of a FWD Fiat platform while the Grand Cherokee is a RWD Jeep/Daimler platform.

Having said all of this, I don't like the front end styling and I don't like the fact that it is front wheel drive. I believe this would work better in Dodge than Jeep, but it does far less to damage their image than what the Compass (and to a lesser degree the Patriot) and looks better than Compass and offers a far superior powertrain. I believe what Jeep needs to offer is a 7-8 passenger SUV based off of the Ram 1500 named the Grand Wagoneer. I am reluctant to recommend a Jeep version of the Durango as the Commander & Grand Cherokee seemed to work against each other.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:25 AM
joseph.m.kurtz
Default New Cherokee

I must be Old School, but I,m not wild about it. Does not look like it belongs in the Jeep Family !

Old 10-03-2013, 09:05 PM
BBartow
Captain

They succeeded in what they were trying to do.

They wanted to make a crossover and they did. Does it look like a crossover? I believe so.

They wanted to give it a bolder look and they did. I like the front, I think it gives it a sleek and mean look.

Would I buy it? Hell no, its a crossover.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:56 PM
runswithhawk

I don't care for it all. I like the traditional looks better. Fugly comes to mind when I see that front end. I did not like the Aztek, Juke, or Avalanche either.

Quick Reply: Question of the Week 2014 Jeep Cherokee – Love It or Kill It With Fire?