Canada, Over Seas & Elsewhere Not from the states? Everywhere else post here.

Canadian fuel question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 01:56 PM
silesian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadian fuel question

Good day my fellow Canadian Dodge owners
I own a 2007 Dodge 2500 6.7 Diesel and the owners manual states that only ultra low sulphur fuel must be used in this motor. From what I understand ultra low sulphur fuel contains 15ppm of sulphur. Low sulphur is 20ppm and regular fuel is 500ppm. In Canada all gas stations are supposed to carry only ultra low sulphur fuel but there are pumps that are marked low sulphur. Does anyone know if this is safe to use the low sulphur in the 6.7L ? Will using any other fuel mean that I have to clean the CCV more often and replace the EGR? Or is some serious damage possible?

Thank you for your help

Silesian

Old 04-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Johnny2Bad
Professional

Actually it's 500, 22 and 15 mg/kg in Canada.

Just use the diesel at the pump; it will be under 15mg/kg. Ignore what the pump says. If you can drive up to it, they haven't been able to sell diesel in Canada above 15 mg/kg for more than five years, and the Oil Companies started phasing it out before that.

For on-road motor vehicles, it has been illegal to sell diesel with sulphur above 15mg/kg anywhere in Canada since August 31 2007 (Northern Supply Area) and since October 15 2006 in the rest of Canada.

Off-road vehicles had later prohibition dates but for everything except locomotive engines and large ships it's currently illegal to sell diesel above 15mg/kg. For other industrial engines (road equipment, generators, farm tractors, etc) it's been illegal for 1-2 years (depending on where you live; the Far North had a later deadline).

For diesel locomotive engines or ship's engines, it will be illegal in about six weeks from this post, on 31 May 2012. So even if you're getting your fuel from the high pressure hose on the main dock in Halifax, it won't be above 15mg/kg in a tankful or two, and probably already isn't.

An example of areas under the Northern Supply Area, you have to be north of 67N in the Yukon, at least 1 km from any road in the NWT or Nunavit, within 50 km of Hudsons Bay or James Bay, or in the mainland portion of Nfld (ie on Labrador, not the island).

Last edited by Johnny2Bad; 04-18-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Jareski
Veteran

*Head blows up*

Johnny2Bad is knowledge. Great info!

Quick Reply: Canadian fuel question