Notices
Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

Black paint, what am I doing wrong???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:49 PM
gymrat7953
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Black paint, what am I doing wrong???

1st it's gotta be washed in the shade and can't be warm to the touch. 2 buckets - 1 to wash the wheels / wells/ and nerff bars. 2nd to wash the rest of the truck. Wash the wheels etc 1st and dress tires / liners . 2nd rinse the whole truck top down ; then wash from the top down. Use a lambs wool or micro fiber mitt. Rinse with the mitt with the hose before you dip it back in the buckett. Use a good wash - I use Mequires gold wash. DON'T USE A CHAMOIS TO DRY IT. Buy several packs of cloth baby diapers - wash them about 10x's getting them good n' soft. Use the cloth baby diapers to dry; again starting from the top down.
I had a 2006 Black Hemi Ram quad cab ( which I've trade into a Police pkg'd Charger white ) cleaning my truck took 2-3 hours and at least 2 cigars. My truck was soo clean that the dealer was considering putting it on the show room floor. Good luck

Old 05-03-2007, 01:54 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

I use a wax called Klasse. Its pretty expensive but my truck looks great!

Old 08-10-2007, 08:24 AM
03StratusES

Tunnel washes are a BIG no! Do not do it...unless they are the brushless type (that is they don't have any brushes, duh) I used to take my 04 Hyundai Gt through the local tunnel wash once a week and after three months the trunk and spoiler paint was soscratched and swirledthat only polishing compound on a buffer and several hours of layering waxes was able to fix it. I AM a professional detailer and have been doing it for over 6 years. I clean well over 200 cars from March-Novembereach year and by far the worst thing you can do is take your car through a tunnel wash!!!

Old 09-10-2007, 09:32 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone has seemed to miss one important item, that being the soap. Never buy the $3.99 crap. I use Macquires Gold Series, close to $10, butyou will feel the difference. It is VERY slippery and suds likeno tomorrow.

Wash your wheels last, or with a different wash mit and different bucket. The dust will ruin the effectiveness of the soap.

Automatic car washes are not good. If it happens to be touchless it will not harm your car but it will not be as clean as doing it by hand.

Oh, and once you get the scratches out with polishing compound you need to keep a good coat of wax on that black, or go to the dealer and get the paint protection.

Quick Reply: Black paint, what am I doing wrong???